Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Estate Agent Standing order

Options
  • 04-07-2008 12:53pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 75 ✭✭

I moved into an apartment 2 months ago and set up a standing order. Isnt it up to me to say yes or no to my standing order every month as opposed to direct debit where it automatically goes out?
    Last month I left it a day after the rent payment date to pay the standing order and when I checked the account the agency had already taken the money out! Can they legally do this? The payment reference says 'agency clients so' I presume the so means standing order. Can you get someones bank details and set up a standing order from their account?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,459 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

To modify a standing order you need to put it in writing to the bank, this goes for changing dates/amounts, adding/changing/removing expiration dates. The agency are not involved in the taking of the money at all (other than having their account available for money to go into).

• Registered Users Posts: 3,436 ✭✭✭bugler

Yep, you do not activate or trigger the SO month by month. You set it up for whatever date of each month, and it automatically moves out on that date.

By the sounds of what you want to do the only way to pay is by one off electronic transfer, or else lodging money to the agency account the old fashioned way. So you'd ditch the SO entirely.

Advertisement