Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cheap keyboard with good sounds for gigging?

Options
  • 04-07-2008 3:27am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 14

I'm in the process of starting my first originals band. I think I'm (ahem), a decent guitarist, adequate pianist, and *very* average singer.. Nearly all the stuff I've wrote/demoed has some kind of piano/electric piano/synth part, but certainly no huge keyboard showoff opportunities. In an ideal world, for gigging, I'd stick to electric guitar and backing vocals and get a deadly singer with a beautiful keyboard to do the rest. I'm closer, however, to getting a deadly singer who can maybe play a bit of acoustic guitar etc, and I could switch between electric guitar and keyboard (I'm not really a fan of Ocean Colour Scene, but this approach seems to work for them).

If I do go this second route, what would be a good, cheap keyboard to get to pull this off? Up til now, I've only really used good ole upright pianos, and MIDI keyboards into Windows VSTi's for recording. I've heard about the Korg MicroKorg, but the 4 note polyphony seems a bit stingy. Any recommendations for this sort of thing? I can fire up a few mp3s if people want to know what kind of balance of instruments I picture in my head, but you'll have to be able to see past the dodgy voice and the ropey rhymes.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,132 ✭✭✭novarock

You really cant go wrong at first with a copy of Reason and a basic Midi Keyboard, especially if you are just starting to branch out into th keyboard world. Get something like an M-Audio Fastrack and you will be able to DI out into a PA system when you are gigging.

Its a little bit of hassle setting up live, but you will get used to it quickly! Using that set up just means that you can basically have any Keybord/synth sound you want at a click of a mouse, also great for writing at home!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭jimi_t

novarock wrote: »
    You really cant go wrong at first with a copy of Reason and a basic Midi Keyboard...

I would definitely, definitely, DEFINITELY go for KORE over any other software/hardware package that will be recommended.

Though to be honest with you, given your description, a bells and whistles Yamaha could nearly do you.

Advertisement