Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cork to Ballybofey and back

Options
  • 03-07-2008 7:03pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 7

Hi,
    I'm planning on driving from Cork to Ballybofey on a Friday and back Sat morning. I was wondering how long this would take and whats the best route to take,
    Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 45,884 ✭✭✭✭muffler

I would imagine via Limerick, Galway, Mayo and Sligo. Depending on traffic you could do it in maybe 5 hours but again it will be down to the traffic. It is a long distance and the road through Galway is probably about the worst part.

smashey should be around later and as he is a much travelled man he may be able to offer better advice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 mdancingqueen

Thanks for the advice i'm not looking forward to the drive but it has to be done, Cheers.

• Registered Users Posts: 366 ✭✭0lordy

I'd give it 6 hours, and definitely go by Galway, it might be a shorter distance to go straight up via Athlone, but the roads are brutal, and it will probably take longer.

Would not fancy the trip two days running!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,163 ✭✭✭✭danniemcq

try maporama.com they are saying that just under 5 hours will get it for you. although i tried getting the map and details saved and failed cause it seems to put the result page in french.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 mdancingqueen

I'll try that, thanks for yer help.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,676 ✭✭✭✭smashey

I did this a couple of times in the last two years. Agree with muffler and Olordy about going via Limerick, Galway and Sligo. I found Limerick to be the worst bit and now that Ennis is bypassed that's half an hour saved.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20 mcbads08

Very late reply but for future reference...

Do this route a good bit and best bet is Limerick, Galway, Sligo. Only time i'd suggest going through Athlone is if you're hitting Limerick between 3 and 6pm - try going through Limerick and you'll add the bones of an hour to your journey. The Athlone route from Roscommon to Sligo isnt the worst road in the world but if you get stuck behind anything there a good part of the road where there's no chance to overtake

Also to be realistic (assuming your travelling during the day) it will take 6 hours Cork - Letterkenny!

PS. Ennis bypass is brilliant though, cut about 40 minutes off the journey

Advertisement