Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tips for organising a group hill walk

Options
  • 03-07-2008 4:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 40

Hi everyone

I am organising a group walk from Crone Wood to the summit of Djouce in a few weeks time (to support my fundraising efforts for a charity challenge). My boyf is a very experienced hill runner and knows the mountains very well. He will be our experienced guide.

We will also be providing sandwiches and other refreshments at a half way point and I will be trying to organise car pooling from Dublin.

Everyone on the trip will be reasonably fit.

However, I had a question (in case I haven't thought of anything) - have you guys any tips for bringing a group for a walk? There will be 15 in total.

Thanks a million.

Belfast Belle:)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,828 ✭✭✭sparrowcar

Loads of things but a few important ones.....

1 Large group first aid kit is essential

Your pace should be set at the slowest walkers pace, this ensures you stay as a group and everyone enjoys the experience. I suggest your boyfriend is at the front to navigate but allows the slowest person to set the pace. You will establish who this person is within 5mins of leaving Crone wood.

Your boyfriend will be use to replenishing liquids and food etc "on the go". Make sure your sandwiches/refreshment break are in the woods where it is well sheltered. It gives cover from rain/wind/cold and if you lucky sunshine. If it's hot and sunny you may be glad of the shade.

Hope this helps

• Registered Users Posts: 40 belfastbelle

Thanks Sparrowcar, that is sound advice. Will defintely bring the first aid kit and the shelter for lunch is a great idea. Hopefully we'll have a day like today (sunny) and not yesterday!

Anything else you can think of I'd love to hear.

Belfast Belle

• Registered Users Posts: 1,105 ✭✭✭larryone

Make sure everyong understands what gear they should have.
    I've gone up Lug with people in jeans and runners, we were lucky with the weather.
    Jeans become heavy, cold, stiff, and sticky when your wet - it'll sap allavailable energy in minutes.
    Add cold wet feet to the equation and you're risking hypothermia, your worst enemy in outdoor sports.

Fig rolls and tracker bars are good mountain food.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,468 ✭✭✭Evil Phil

Yep. Watterlogged runners and wet jeans will totally ruin somebody's day. Fig rolls are good for energy as larryone said, however they are f*cking gross. Snickers bars make a great and tasty alternative. I should probably start a movement to show everybody the folly of their fig-rolly ways.

Tell your walkers to have a dry change of clothes, shoes and socks for when the walk is finished. Even if it doesn't rain its nice to change into some clean, comfy clothes once you're done.

Walking poles are great if anybody has them. They can save upto 20 tons of impact force on the knees over a days walking (apparently), I've started using them in the last year and they make a huge difference. Although they're not a neccessity some people might be able to borrow a pair.

Bring gloves regardless of the weather. Wolly or fleece are better imho as they'll keep your hands warm even when wet. But basically you want something that can absorb snot :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 21,444 ✭✭✭✭Alun

With a group of that size, especially if they're novices, it's essential that as well as a leader you also have a sweeper, i.e. someone at the back to ensure no-one gets left behind. Impress on the leader the need to check over his shoulder every now and then and make sure he isn't leaving everyone behind, and to stop and let people catch up if the sweeper is too far back or out of view. Also stop at key points on the route where there's a change of direction to make sure the stragglers don't end up going off in another direction.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40 belfastbelle

Hi guys

that is all great advice. Thanks.

Re: clothes - yes, I have heard that wet jeans can be painful. Will issue clothes warning especially for jeans and footwear! Great idea for the change of clothes too as we might be heading to the Glencormack Inn after.

Fig rolls v snickers - I vote for snickers! But there is also something very comforting about a fig roll!

Sweeper - I guess that will be me.

Thanks a mil - keep them coming!!

BB

Advertisement