Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do I have to pay the fees for a course I have not started?

Options
  • 03-07-2008 2:42pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1

Hi,

I wonder if anyone can help me? I am due to move on from my current employer in a little over 2 weeks. Before I ever new about my new job it was suggested that I undertake an NVQ L4 in Management as the service that I look after requires that we have at least 1 member with an NVQ Level 4 in Management.

Now here is the problem. I never got chance to start my NVQ as I put it on hold as soon as I got offered my new job. Unfortunately the training provider will not refund the NVQ payment £2665 but will allow for it to be transferred to another member of our team.

However, my employer does not want to take up that offer and instead wants me to repay the full amount? I have not signed a training agreement agreeing to pay back any training fees although there is paragraph in our employee handbook which reads:

POST ENTRY TRAINING QUALIFICATIONS

Restrictions
    Financial Assistance is granted in accordance with Paragraph 20 of the Conditions of Service,
    which states that 100% of all expenses paid must be refunded if you:
    Do not remain in local government service for a period of two years’ after gaining the
    qualification
    Fail to show satisfactory progress
    Fail to sit for examinations without good reason, or
    Leave local government service before taking examinations

I have not done this down the Post Entry Training Qualifications route as this only happens once a year and requires an application to refers to our training team and the signing of a training agreement which I have not done.

My questions are:
    • Do I have to pay the fees back?
    • Can they take it out of my last salary without my consent?
    My new employer is a charity and cannot take over the course (which I have not started!!)

Help!!! :confused:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭dade

if you haven't signed an agreement specific to that course I'd tell them where to go to be honest. what is in the hand book is the general rule as in "if you go on a course and leave then you have to pay" and when you go on a course you sign the agreement thus binding you to it.

did they suggest you take up the training or did you come to them? coz IMO if they suggested you go on it it's their look out to pay the fees and not the other way round.

Advertisement