Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Blu-ray Home Cinema

Options
  • 03-07-2008 2:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,317 ✭✭✭

Hi there...

Looking for some advice about Home Cinema and Blu-ray. At the moment I have a cheap DVD player at home. I've just bought a new TV ( Samsung Series 5 Full HD 40" ) which I'm very happy with.

The next step in my plan is getting a Blu-ray player, and also getting some 5.1 or 7.1 sound as well.

I know that more than likely the best way to go is separates, but I'm not looking to get an amazing, very expensive, system ( with even more remote controls! ), I'm just looking for a decent entry level Blu-ray player with Home Cinema. For what I'm looking for I think an integrated Blue-ray player with 5.1. or 7.1 will meet my needs quite nicely!

I've found two units on Komplett :

Panasonic SC-BT100 ( http://www.komplett.ie/k/ki.aspx?sku=350822 )
    Samsung HT-BD2 ( http://www.komplett.ie/k/ki.aspx?sku=345195 )

So far, these seem to be the only Blu-ray Home Cinema units out there.

Any thoughts on these units. From what I can see online, the Panasonic is only 5.1 unless you buy the other speakers separately. However, the Panasonic has an iPod port which might be kinda cool. Also, depending on which website you look at, the Panasonic either has wireless built in for the 2 back speakers, or you can buy a wireless kit.

So, does anyone know anything about these two kits? Is 7.1 that much better than 5.1? Thanks in advance for any advice...

J.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,532 ✭✭✭Zonda999

Youve probably already considered the ps3 but make sure the bluray player you get is Bluray profile 2.0 and has the capability to be upgraded with the latest firmware for bluray disc.The Ps3 will always be upgradable with the latest firmware.You could get a ps3 with a 7.1 Amp and some speakers and probably not be paying more than you would be for one of those systems on Komplett.Then you would have the added benefit of having your Tv watching with surround sound and a great Gaming machine(If youre into gaming, that is).You shouldnt have any doubts about the ps3 as a bluray player.It really is excellent in that regard.(Oh and you could listen to you ipod through the system aas well by plugging it into the PS3)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,399 ✭✭✭Kashkai

I'd agree with Zonda that getting a ps3 is the way to go as the blu ray format is being constantly updated and the ps3 can easily absorb the new firmware through the update process by broadband. Even if you're not into gaming, it will still play excellent blu rays, music, internet capability etc etc etc.

As for sound, check out the Richersounds.ie website. I've just gotten an Onkyo 875 a/v amp (that will upscale DVDs to 1080p) and a monitor speaker package for €1,300. If you go for the lower specced (though still excellent) 606 model (that upscales DVDs to 1080i), you'd get that and a good set of speakers for a €1,000. The guys in Richersounds know their stuff and they don't sell crap. Try them out and they'll fix you up with a good system. Their MD, John McDonald posts on Boards and they also have a section in the Biz - Commercial interaction section of Boards if you want to check them out.

Nice TV by the way. I'm planning on getting the 46in series 6 model soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,317 ✭✭✭jasonb

Hi there...

Thanks for the replies... To be honest, I hadn't considered the PS3 at all, I've already got a PS2 and a Wii and that more than meets my rather simple gaming needs.

However the points you're both making about Blu-ray profiles and firmware upgrades are something I'll have to look into, I don't know a lot about that but I'm sure my friends Google and Wiki will help me out.

I'd really like to get one unit, not separates ( like a PS3 and a Amp ), but I'll look into it. I'm really not looking for anything too fancy, and a standard Home Cinema system ( in my, admittedly narrow experience ) normally can offer decent enough kit at a decent enough price without going too mad.

I'm in no rush though so I'll look into all options. Thanks again!

J.

P.S. Man, when did I get so old that I turned DOWN buying a PS3? :(

Jacob

I'm just short of the big 40 so you're never too old to get a ps3. I mostly use mine as a blu ray player but I got the new amp as it upscales my existing large dvd collection to 1080p so no need to re-buy my favourite movies on blu ray.

As for not knowing too much about this stuff, well I'm in the same boat. Like you I used google to do some research and then contacted richersounds who gave some great advice with no hard sell.

If you just want the one system, they also do home theatre packages like the one you are interested in. Check out their website at richersounds.ie and drop their MD, John McDonald a line at johnmc@richersounds.ie, mention your're a Boardsie and he'll do you a great deal. I paid hundres of yo-yos less for my new av gear under the deal he gave me.

Good luck

David

Thanks for the reply Dave...

A few, probably obvious, questions for you...

So, what you're saying is I get a PS3 and then a 7.1 Amp & Speakers, right? Will I be able to play all my old DVDs on the PS3, as well as Blu-ray discs? Does the PS3 upscale the DVDs to 1080p, or does the Amp do that? Can I play my PS2 games on the PS3?

I've heard you can get a remote for the PS3 for when it plays Blu-ray discs, is this true? I don't want to have to use the wired PS3 controller to play my DVDs. Can I get my current Universal Remote ( which operates my TV, VCR, DVD and SKy Box right now ), to also control the DVD functions on the PS3?

Considering it's €870 for the SC-BT100 on Komplete, will I get a PS3 and Amp / Speakers for less? I had a look at Richersounds website, and they don't seem to have any Blu-ray Home Cinema units.

And finally, if I did get a PS3 and an Amp/Speakers, will I also be able to put the sound from my Sky HD Box through the Amp? And the VCR? And my Wii? Or would I be still putting the Wii and VCR through the TV ( using Componant and Scart respectively ).

Lots of questions I know, sorry!

J.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 71 ✭✭maclad

jasonb wrote: »
    Thanks for the reply Dave...

A few, probably obvious, questions for you...

So, what you're saying is I get a PS3 and then a 7.1 Amp & Speakers, right? Will I be able to play all my old DVDs on the PS3, as well as Blu-ray discs? Does the PS3 upscale the DVDs to 1080p, or does the Amp do that? Can I play my PS2 games on the PS3?

I've heard you can get a remote for the PS3 for when it plays Blu-ray discs, is this true? I don't want to have to use the wired PS3 controller to play my DVDs. Can I get my current Universal Remote ( which operates my TV, VCR, DVD and SKy Box right now ), to also control the DVD functions on the PS3?

Considering it's €870 for the SC-BT100 on Komplete, will I get a PS3 and Amp / Speakers for less? I had a look at Richersounds website, and they don't seem to have any Blu-ray Home Cinema units.

And finally, if I did get a PS3 and an Amp/Speakers, will I also be able to put the sound from my Sky HD Box through the Amp? And the VCR? And my Wii? Or would I be still putting the Wii and VCR through the TV ( using Componant and Scart respectively ).

Lots of questions I know, sorry!

J.

Hi,
    The 60gb/80gb ps3 will play some ps2 games but not all. The 40gb won't play any ps2 games. Yes there is a blu-ray remote, have one myself great device even turns on and off the ps3 but it works off bluetooth so you won't be able to use the ps3 with a normal universal remote. The ps3 upscales dvds but i'm not sure if it puts them out at full 1080p.

Hope that helps!

Hi Macald,

Thanks, that definitely helps, I'd be looking at the 60Gb PS3 at least then, and I guess I'd have to put up with two remotes, the Bluetooth one for the PS3 and the universal one for everything else...

J.

The ps3 upscales dvds to 1080p(Its a very good upscaler aswell, it has to be said) as long as its connected to the tv by hdmi.(576p if connected by component)The ps3s controller is wireless as well .The Bluray remote doesnt come with the ps3, its an extra 25e unfortunately
    I hope youre aware that you would no longer able to buy the 60gb ps3 new.They went out of production last October.It has been 40gb only since then.Ypu could still get one used but i would just get the 40gb if i were you.You could just connect your ps2 to the amp and that would upscale them to 1080p
    As for your questions about the sky HD box and the amp, i'm no amp expert but afaik, you would have no problems connecting the box, the wii and the vcr to the amp

Hi Zonda,

I'm guessing it's a typo when you say 'You could just connect your ps2 to the amp and that would upscale them to 1080p'? You meant to say PS3, right? Or are you talking about still being able to play my PS2 games?

So, the only PS3 I can buy new now ( the 40Gb ), won't play PS2 games, but will do 1080p upscaling, right? I'll definitely be using HDMI. I'm a bit confused, if the PS3 does upscaling, why does the Amp need to do it? Does the HDMI go from the PS3 to the TV, or to the Amp ( and then to the PC? ).

J.

Hi Zonda,

I'm guessing it's a typo when you say 'You could just connect your ps2 to the amp and that would upscale them to 1080p'? You meant to say PS3, right? Or are you talking about still being able to play my PS2 games?

So, the only PS3 I can buy new now ( the 40Gb ), won't play PS2 games, but will do 1080p upscaling, right? I'll definitely be using HDMI. I'm a bit confused, if the PS3 does upscaling, why does the Amp need to do it? Does the HDMI go from the PS3 to the TV, or to the Amp ( and then to the PC? ).

J.

Well, ya.I'm guessing you still have a ps2 right??You could use a composite lead to connect it to the amp where it could upscale the 576i signal from the ps2 to 1080p

The 40gb does everything else the 60gb ps3 did(only other differences are 2 usb ports instead of 4 and no SD or MS duo card readers).The amp wouldnt need to do the upscaling.I'm no expert on amps but i think you have 2 options in terms of connecting the ps3 to the amp.

Lets say you are using hdmi to output both video and sound from the ps3.I think a modern amp would be able to separate the sound from the video. The amp could then output the sound in to your 7.1 speakers and send the 1080p video signal into your HDTV

I think you could also do it this way;Set up the ps3 to output video only via hdmi and sound via the "optical out" port(To the best of my knowledge you can do this.I have not tried it because i dont have a home cinema at all:(, I will check it for you later).Your 7.1 amp would obviously have an optical input and it could then send the sound to the speakers.You could connect the hdmi from the ps3 directly to the HDTV

I really dont know which way would be better but to the best of my knowledge, the second way would be better.I will have a look at my ps3 and get back to you

• Advertisement

Thanks Zonda,

I appreciate you taking the time to look into this for me. I have to admit, it's all this messing around which had me thinking that it'd be easy to look at a Home Cinema system instead of separates!

As far as I understand it, I'd probably be looking at using two cables, HDMI from the PS3 to the TV and Audio from the PS3 to the Amp. I'd also be doing the same for my Sky HD Box. So I'd need an Amp that could take at least two Audio Inputs I think? And that's not including my Wii and VCR ( though if they continued to use the TV sound that wouldn't be the end of the world... ).

This is all very confusing. If I were to get a PS3 I'd probably get rid of my PS2, I only have about 5 games on it anyhow and while it'd be annoying that I couldn't play them anymore, it wouldn't be so annoying that I'd keep my PS2 just for that, I'd rather make space in the room for the PS3!

J.

Zonda999 wrote: »
    I think you could also do it this way;Set up the ps3 to output video only via hdmi and sound via the "optical out" port(To the best of my knowledge you can do this.I have not tried it because i dont have a home cinema at all:(, I will check it for you later).Your 7.1 amp would obviously have an optical input and it could then send the sound to the speakers.You could connect the hdmi from the ps3 directly to the HDTV

Up to last week, I had my ps3 connected to my tv via hdmi for picture but had the ps3 connected to my old sony 5.1 home theatre system via an optical lead for sound. Worked fine. However, with the new sound formats out now (i.e. DTS master audio, Dolby HD), my new amp will play these with sound just like the cinema release whereas existing home theatre systems won't (they still use DTS or DD 5.1. so thats something to look out for when buying a blu ray player if thats the way you want to go.

Most of your questions have been answered above but to recap:
    The ps3 is bluetooth so you can't use an infrared controller on it

The gamepad will also control the blu ray player - its very easy to use and as its wireless, you can lie back on the couch and operate the blue ray movie as you would with a remote

I've a 60gb model that is backward compatible with ps 2 games but the 40gb one is not

The amp I bought will take hdmi, component, optical and co-ax inputs and will upscale video to full 1080p no matter what the input source. Therefore, it will take your SKY box, wii, ps2 etc as well as a hdmi device

It is a 7.1 amp but will also configure as 5.1

Best of luck with your decision

David

I just checked it there and its no problem setting up the ps3 to output video via hdmi and sound using digital optical.It really is very simple to do.
    I'd say any nearly any 7.1 amy would have at least two optical inputs as well.A for the wii and vcr, i'm fairly sure the wii doesnt have optical output at all so you could connect that using the component cable to the amp.Surely the vcr wouldnt have optical either so you could connect that to the amp using a composite cable

It probably would be less bother buying a HC system rather than separates but i would totally reccommend the separates.You will get much better sound i would say and the amp would make it a lot more flexible.All said, it might not much cheaper at all but the choice of HC bluray systems is fairly limited to say the least and having the ps3 will ensure that you will always be at the forefront of bluray updates.
    There are another few reasons to get the separates and ps3.If you have broadband and a wireless router, the ps3 will allow you to surf the internet on your hdtv and theres a service comin on the playstation network during the summer that will allow you to download movies in HD

Thanks for both your replies...

Dave, I take it then that I'd basically be plugging HDMI from the PS3 to the Amp, and from the Sky HD to the Amp, and then plugging one HDMI from the Amp to the TV? As all the boxes ( PS3, Sky HD etc. ) go through the Amp, and HDMI carries Audio too, then all the boxes would get sound through the Amp, but I'd only have the one cable going from the Amp to the TV. In other words, the PS3 and the Sky HD wouldn't connect directly to the TV at all... The Wii and VCR ( if I keep it ), would also go into the Amp ( though not using HDMI ) and would therefore get sound through the Amp and upscaled Video too.

Zonda, I can see the quality differences with using separates, and the advantages of separates over a HC Blu-ray system. I just need to make sure that those differences are important enough to me, in terms of cost, percieved hassle etc.

Thanks to both of you for your constant replies to my obvious questions!

J.

Jason,

Spot on there - the beauty of HDMI is the single lead for carrying digital audio and video signals. My ps3 has one hdmi lead going to the amp and then one hdmi lead going from the amp to the tv. It would be similar with Sky HD, i.e. one hdmi lead to the amp. It really cleans up all the cabling at the rear of the tv unit.

And yes, no matter what the input source, i.e. component/co ax/hdmi, the amp I have will upscale video signals to 1080p.

Like you I had a sony home theatre system for 5 years that did the job but there is a massive gulf of difference with the system that I now have. The sound has to be heard to be believed - it is incredible for the clarity and precision. The upscaling of video signals to 1080p is the icing on the cake for me as I didn't want to have to replace my existing dvd collection with blu rays - even though my blu ray collection is now growing mostly because of the better sound formats available on blu ray.

Sounds good Dave, literally!

I'd have a HDMI from the PS3 to the Amp. A HDMI from the Sky HD to the Amp. The VCR is currently going to the SKY Box to record Sky, though as it's now Sky HD that's pretty redundant, so we might get rid of the VCR. I'll look at the Wii, I reckon that'll be componant into the Amp.

Then I'll have one HDMI from the Amp to the TV.

The only question that raises for me right now is how do I choose which Video / Audio Input the Amp sends to the TV? I presume there's a mode you switch on the Amp to do this?

J.

Sounds good Dave, literally!

I'd have a HDMI from the PS3 to the Amp. A HDMI from the Sky HD to the Amp. The VCR is currently going to the SKY Box to record Sky, though as it's now Sky HD that's pretty redundant, so we might get rid of the VCR. I'll look at the Wii, I reckon that'll be componant into the Amp.

Then I'll have one HDMI from the Amp to the TV.

The only question that raises for me right now is how do I choose which Video / Audio Input the Amp sends to the TV? I presume there's a mode you switch on the Amp to do this?

J.

Jason

On the amp that I bought (and similar on the cheaper models) there are 4 hdmi ports that can be individually assigned to, for example, Sky, DVD, Games console etc and then you can use the amps remote to select which one you want to use and that feed will go through the HDMI out port to the tv.

Check out the reviews of the onkyo 875 or 606 on What HiFi and if interested, I can pm the phone number of Richersounds Managing Director who will give you a great deal on an amp and speakers. I paid almost half what Peats wanted, i.e. €1,300 instead of €2,500 for my new amp and speakers. I've also ordered a new 46in samsung lcd through Richersounds at a price of €1,380 - Powercity and DID wanted €2,000.

David

Dave, i couldnt help but notice that you got a tv through Richer sounds.I've been hearing great things about them in recent days and i was just wondering how they came to this price for you.I'm looking to buy a nice 40" Full HD set in the coming months and Richer sounds look to be my best bet for a good deal
    I noticed that the tv you got is not on RS' irsh site but is on their UK site for 1050 pounds.That translates to about 1320euro so was the delivery another 60e or has the price dropped since then??
    Basically what i'm trying to find out is whey=ther you can orderf rom the .com site and get the same halfprice delivery boardsies get on the .ie site

Hi Dave...

Thanks for your advice and offer of the number, if I decide to go that way I'll definitely take you up on it. The problem I have is money really, I've gone from looking at the Panasonic Blu-ray HC for €850 to looking at €1300 for Amp and Speakers and then another what, €400 for a PS3? That's a big jump!

You say the 875 will upscale anything to 1080p whereas the 606 will only upscale to 1080i. I presume that Blu-ray would still play through the 606 in 1080p, as that's the format it's in? Or would they only play in 1080i? My Sky HD, which is currently 720p I think, would that be upscaled to 1080i? Would it be better for it to be left in 720p?

I guess what I'm asking is that the 606 is on richersounds.ie for something like €450 less than the 875, so how much of a hit is it, not having upscaling to 1080p? And can you enable / disable upscaling on each individual input ( say for example you think Sky HD's 720p is better looking that it being upscaled to 1080i ).

Zonda, I'd heartedly recommend the Samsung Series 5 40". I got it in Power City for something like €1050 ( if I remember correctly ). It's a great TV, the only problem I have with it is its sound, which is fairly poor, but I knew I'd be getting an Amp and Speakers of some description!

J.

Zonda999 wrote: »
    Dave, i couldnt help but notice that you got a tv through Richer sounds.I've been hearing great things about them in recent days and i was just wondering how they came to this price for you.I'm looking to buy a nice 40" Full HD set in the coming months and Richer sounds look to be my best bet for a good deal
    I noticed that the tv you got is not on RS' irsh site but is on their UK site for 1050 pounds.That translates to about 1320euro so was the delivery another 60e or has the price dropped since then??
    Basically what i'm trying to find out is whey=ther you can orderf rom the .com site and get the same halfprice delivery boardsies get on the .ie site

Hi Zonda,

I had already bought my new amp and speakers through John Mc, MD of Richersounds.ie. However, they have a limited number of tvs on their site so I checked the UK site and they have a huge selection. The one I picked is the Samsung 46in lcd, full 1080p HD (the series 6 model thats being advertised at €2,000 in Powercity and DID). John Mc reserved one for me and its being shipped to Belfast at the moment for onward delivery to me. They charge £20 for delivery which is shag all you'd have to admit. So I came up with the figure of €1,380 for the tv delivered and thats over €600 less than Irish shops.

Give John Mc a call (I can pm his number if you want) and he'll order the tv for you.

David

• Advertisement

Hi Dave...

Thanks for your advice and offer of the number, if I decide to go that way I'll definitely take you up on it. The problem I have is money really, I've gone from looking at the Panasonic Blu-ray HC for €850 to looking at €1300 for Amp and Speakers and then another what, €400 for a PS3? That's a big jump!

You say the 875 will upscale anything to 1080p whereas the 606 will only upscale to 1080i. I presume that Blu-ray would still play through the 606 in 1080p, as that's the format it's in? Or would they only play in 1080i? My Sky HD, which is currently 720p I think, would that be upscaled to 1080i? Would it be better for it to be left in 720p?

I guess what I'm asking is that the 606 is on richersounds.ie for something like €450 less than the 875, so how much of a hit is it, not having upscaling to 1080p? And can you enable / disable upscaling on each individual input ( say for example you think Sky HD's 720p is better looking that it being upscaled to 1080i ).

Zonda, I'd heartedly recommend the Samsung Series 5 40". I got it in Power City for something like €1050 ( if I remember correctly ). It's a great TV, the only problem I have with it is its sound, which is fairly poor, but I knew I'd be getting an Amp and Speakers of some description!

J.

Hi Jason,

Believe me, money is a big problem for me too but as I have 4 kids (3 of them under 3 years of age), I don't get out much so I treated myself to the bells and whistles for my new home cinema, i.e. amp, speakers and 46in tv (if you can't treat yourself occasionally, then what's the point of it all?:confused:).

Anyways, I dithered for 2 weeks over whether it was worth paying the extra €400 for the 875 over the 606. I knew the 606 would play my blu rays at 1080p but my existing and fairly large DVD collection would only be upscaled to 1080i. Now as far as I know, to really see the difference of 1080p over 1080i, you need a tv with at least a 42in screen. Anything smaller and you'd hardly notice the difference. Now I'm getting a 46in lcd so this was the deciding factor for me.

With the 875, you can decide on what resolution you want to scale to so if you don't want 1080i, you can stay at 720p. I honestly don't know which would be better so I won't bullsh!t you.

The 875 is also more powerful audio-wise putting out a lot more watts per channel than the 606 but unless you are intent on shaking the foundations, I wouldn't let that sway you.

Finally, the best thing to do would be to phone or pm John Mc of Richersounds and tell him what you'd like, ask his advice and see what deal he'd give you. He was offering me the 606 and excellent speakers (monitor audio - they're beautiful to look at which has slightly mollified the wife :P:D:D) for €1,000. I paid over €1,300 in the end cause I went for the 875.

This crowd know their stuff and don't sell sh!te. The stuff I bought has gotten rave reviews in the likes of What HiFi (i.e. 606/875 and the speakers) so you'll be sure in the knowlege that you haven't been sold a pup.

David

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭carrollf

Hi Jason,

What did you decide in the end? I am also interested in the SC-BT100 but having read all the opinions on this thread, I am being swayed towards the PS3 and a good amp. I would love to hear what you did in the end

Advertisement