Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Missing lurcher/ whippet x PLEASE HELP! kildare

Options
  • 03-07-2008 1:57pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 12

Our Lurcher X Lilly went missing (most likely stolen) from the Curragh Grange area of Newbridge, Co. Kildare at 4pm on Sat 28th June. Attached is a photo of her. She is a 3 yr old neutered female smooth haired lurcher/whippet cross. She is a fawn / tan colour and was wearing a black collar with ID tag. She is a pet and is no good for hunting or lamping.

She is also microchipped. We are besides ourselves with worry and will do anything to find her so would really appreciate if you could help us in any way.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 549 ✭✭✭BlackCat2008

I don't want to frighten you but the first thing you need to do is get posters up telling people she will not harm their livestock and is friendly. I have found kildare and wicklow to be places of mainly happy trigger people. No offense to those who aren't. I've just meet more of them than you's. I hope you find her well. Have you tryed the pet detective ?

She is a lovely dog good luck.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 lillyislost

Thanks for the advice about livestock, she's actually extremely used to sheep so wouldn't ever go anywhere near them. We've distributed over 2000 fliers and posters of her around kildare and there's still no sign of her so we think she must have been taken out of the area, she could be anywhere in the country by now, it's so disheartening.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 259 ✭✭Ruby Soho

Have you sent out posters to local vet surgeries etc? I work with a vet in North Kildare, I'll deffo keep my eyes and ears open for you, fingers crossed she comes home soon! Also double check if her chip is actually registered, if she's a rescue dog, sometimes this part is overlooked.... and obviously this defeats the purpose of having a chip. If its registered to the rescue group themselves, make sure they're aware of the situation too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 969 ✭✭✭kerrysgold

as she is a lurcher, I'd be doing the rounds of the halting sites and also check out any horse fairs etc. where dogs may be being sold. also maybe contact PAWS in case she turns up there? hadn't thought of the farmers before, that is scary, maybe you could go driving around some rural villages in your area and put up posters in shops there?

I hope you find her, she's a beautiful girlie.

thanks for all the advice, we've been round to the halting sites and also alerted all vets in the area, PAWS are also aware and have been great.

Ruby soho do you know if a stray came into your surgery would you always check for a microchip? We're hoping that if she turns up at any vets or pounds across the country they'll always check her microchip info

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 259 ✭✭Ruby Soho

Absolutely OP, its the first thing we would do. Obviously I cant speak for every vet in the country but I think most of them have copped on to the whole microchipping thing, we have personally reunited a hell of a lot of dogs just because of the microchip. I also have a terrible soft spot for the sighthounds, so rest assured I would do all that I could to get her home to you if I came across her!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,946 ✭✭✭IrishHomer

I lost my dog twice and found it each time only for the help of local radio.

Meant the world to us to have him back.

Have you tryed Ash animal rescue they get in a lot of lurcher's/greyhounds and are not to far out in wicklow. They have very good hearts their and I'm sure they'll take her in if they come by her. Still check to see the chip reg.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,366 ✭✭✭luckat

Have you yet tried the Pet Detective? Google for 'pet detective ireland' and you'll find him.) (I have no connection with the guy, apart from knowing that he's good at getting animals back. Not cheap, mind.)

we thought of the pet detective and i think he is only good at finding dogs who've strayed rather than been stolen, unless anyone else out there has had any luck with him recovering stolen dogs?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,318 ✭✭✭Vel

I'm really sorry to hear of your situation. I'm sure you have done a lot of soul searching and I'm not having a go at you or judging but I would just like to say to anyone with a dog, particularly a lurcher, please never leave it tied up outside anywhere on its own. They are irrestible to certain unscrupulous members of a certain community.

I'm a member of some sighthound boards in the UK and from what I've seen in cases like this you have to make the dog too hot to handle. Put posters up, go on the radio, post flyers into houses. If you can post on www.petsireland.invisionzone.com there might be some people on there who have contacts in the traveller community who may be able to liaise on your behalf. Once they realise she is spayed they will most likely dump her. I'll try to get some other tips for you from the UK forums.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,366 ✭✭✭luckat

The pet detective has had some luck in other circumstances; maybe give him a call and talk to him.

Thanks for the advice about livestock, she's actually extremely used to sheep so wouldn't ever go anywhere near them. We've distributed over 2000 fliers and posters of her around kildare and there's still no sign of her so we think she must have been taken out of the area, she could be anywhere in the country by now, it's so disheartening.

Have you put up an add on Irish animals and adds in local press and I think radio can't hurt either.

What I do know is that If travelers tuck her is that she's probably already gone from sites near you with in 24 hrs. So you need to get your ads nationwide and even uk .They might not check to see if she is neutered until they think they have her far enough away.`

See if their is a local shop near you were their children buy sweets and try and talk to them, tell them you are looking to BUY a lurcher,and see if any of them let it slip.

Good luck, She looks so sweet.

Hi, yeah shes on irishanimals and petsireland, the ispca site, doglost.co.uk, lurcherlink.co.uk, sighhoundwelfaretrust.org.uk, gumtree, buyandsell, and donedeal.ie. Every dog pound and rescue centre in the republic and northern ireland has been emailed or posted a poster of her, shes been on two local radio stationsand is in the Leinster Leader. We've distributed over 2000 fliers and posters, alerted the Blue Cross and all the vets in the area and visited local halting sites and also been out on the curragh most nights looking for lampers. We are going to Balbriggan market on Sunday where apparently stolen dogs are sometimes sold.

After that we don't know where else to turn, it's like shes disappearedinto thin air, so if anyone has any suggestions it'd be much appreciated (except the doggie detective as we think we've done pretty much everything he'd do)

thanks for your support

• Registered Users Posts: 701 ✭✭✭Morganna

Thinking of you .The fact that she is microchipped she will turn up some day .I pray it is soon.Try horse sales a lot of dogs are sold at them .

Sounds like have covered everything.I'll keep my eyes open in Dublin.Wish you well in finding her.Lets know how you get on.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,318 ✭✭✭Vel

You really are doing all you can. I have cross posted this to a couple of other UK forums. Also, would it be worth getting in touch with the traveller liason person in your local county council who may ask the guys who go in and take the bins away from the hatling sites to have a look or ask around. or maybe you could put some posters up around the ferry terminals. As someone else said they may have moved her pretty quickly but once they discover she is spayed and isn't any use for lamping they may dump her. That's were the microchipping will be priceless. Don't give up hope. Twink, the radio presenter had her lurcher stolen from her garden last year and she got her back after 7 months.

Any news on Lilly please keep us informed .There is a horse fair at buttevant on saturday she may turn up there for sale as a lot of travellers go.Please god you find her.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 62 ✭✭clofty

I live in Monasterevin area in Kildare - will keep my eyes peeled for her.

Hope you find her. She is obviously a much loved pet.

thank you all so much for your support. Lilly is still missing. So far we've had 4 sightings but each time the dog turned out not to be her, which is so disappointing. We're just hoping that at some stage she'll end up in a pound or vets that'll scan her microchip and we'll get a call. Thanks again and please everyone keep your eyes peeled for her!

• Advertisement

Im still thinking of you and praying you get Lilly back the one bonus is she is microchipped and will hopefully turn up eventually .Please keep us posted .Thinking of you all

• Closed Accounts Posts: 792 ✭✭✭bigpinkelephant

Our Lurcher X Lilly went missing (most likely stolen) from the Curragh Grange area of Newbridge, Co. Kildare at 4pm on Sat 28th June. Attached is a photo of her. She is a 3 yr old neutered female smooth haired lurcher/whippet cross. She is a fawn / tan colour and was wearing a black collar with ID tag. She is a pet and is no good for hunting or lamping.

She is also microchipped. We are besides ourselves with worry and will do anything to find her so would really appreciate if you could help us in any way.

I saw a similar dog walking down the N4 the other day. It was a fawn/gold coloured dog with a smooth coat and no markings- with a blue rope around its neck. It was walking down the stretch of the N4 near Liffey Valley. There is a lane coming off the N4 with a halting site on it- it could have been a traveller's dog. Looked like a greyhound or maybe a large whippet- similar to the photo of your dog anyway. It didn't look frightened and was walking along the verge. Looked like a healthy dog. If I were you I would go into that halting site and see if your dog is there. My boyfriend's uncles's Staffie was stolen once- the travellers had him and charged money to give him back.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 louiset002

Hi I have been reading your thread and was wondering if you found Lilly? I have a lurcher girl myself and really feel for you, would be distrought if I lost her. I really hope you found her she is gorgeous.

Thanks for your message, it's nice to think people really do care. No we've never found Lilly although we've travelled the length and breadth of the country going to see dogs that could have been her. We're still hoping though. In the meantime we have rescued a 5 yr old boy lurcher who was near death when he was found but is much better now. He's lovely and very well trained so must have belonged to someone at some stage. Sadly I have too many dogs so can't keep him. Do you know of anyone looking for a very kind gentle and loving lurcher at all?

im so sorry that you still havent found lilly .My thoughts are with you .Well done in rescuing the lurcher dog .His injurys look horrific well done and i pray you find Lilly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 muleyule

Hi,
    So sorry to hear that your dog is missing but don't give up hope. We took in a stray on Christmas Eve and thankfully reunited it with it's owners today.

They spent all Christmas worrying when it could have been sorted out on Christmas Eve.

Both the owners and I rang the local garda to report a dog missing and found on Christmas Eve and they obviously didn't make a note of it as they didn't put us in touch with each other despite BOTH parties giving a description of the unusual collar worn by the dog. Plus I brought the dog to our local vets to see if it had been microchipped (it wasn't) and they wrote him found in their book but when the owner rang they never told them about it.

It was only when we rang the DSPCA did we find that they had called them 3 times since this morning. I would personally keep calling into your garda station and asking them to see notes of any dogs reported found and keep hounding your local RSPCA.

The DSPCA came up trumps for us today but years and years ago my dog went missing whilst I was on holiday and I rang the RSPCA to report it missing and they said they would contact me if anything similar was brought in. I never got a call but my sister thankfully went up on spec and found our dog sitting in a kennel waiting to be rehomed!

Best of look and keep the pressure on!

Yxxx

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 muleyule

Sorry Lilyislost just realised your original post is from July........

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 louiset002

Hi lillyislost Im sorry I don't know anyone at the moment who could give a home to your lurcher boy. I already have 2 dogs and am expecting a baby this summer too. Perhaps you could post a photo, I will certainly ask around.

Advertisement