Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Access ITV without using PIN each time

Options
  • 03-07-2008 11:34am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 492 ✭✭

Just moved from Chorus to Sky. I have tuned in ITV BBC3 BBC4 etc through the serices button. As I have kids, I have blocked the Adult channels completely and also put on the age limit on the movies.
    Now when I want to look at ITV its a bit of a pain :(. 1st I have to access through the Services button and then I have to input the PIN code. Is there a better way?

Also I find the navigation of the channels a bit painfull. BBC is on page 4 of the list of channels. Is there a way of re arranging this to the 1st page? Perhaps the Favourites button would help, but I don't know how to use this :confused:.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,654 ✭✭✭givecredit

With adult channels locked, you will always need to enter pin when you enter other channels. This is incase one of your kids managed to manually tune an adult channel in other channels.

You cant rearrange the layout on the epg either.

The favourites wont rearrange the epg either. But it will take out any channels you dont watch that appear before the bbcs on the epg. This only works when you look in the Favourites epg via sky guide and blue button.

To set up favourites. Go to services, select add favourite channels, use the yellow button to select the channels you want in your favourites. you can select 50. Press the enter button when finished. Go to Sky Guide and blue button to see epg. Or when watching tv channel, press the blue button repeatedly to see whats on now and next on your fav channels and just press select when you see what you want to watch.

Hope the above makes some sence to you..

You will eventually get used to entering the channel nos to see a channel.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 492 ✭✭TrapperChamonix

givecredit, thanks for that.

The one problem I can't see a way around, is having to input the PIN for the Other Channels.
    Let me explain it this way, I put the PIN on to eliminate the Adult Channels but if my children want to watch BBC3 or ITV, I have 3 options
    1. Give them the pin (self-defeating)
    2. Have to put in the PIN myself every time they want to watch ITV (not practical)
    3. Not allow them to have access to ITV. One of the reasons I had gone to CHorus originally was that in the past SKY hadn't access to ITV.

• Registered Users Posts: 966 ✭✭✭Rippy

Is a problem alright, but as previously stated there is no way of working around it.
    The only way would be to add a 2nd satellite receiver (FTA box) to access ITV etc.
    The advantage of this is you only need to have the channels YOU want on the listings, arranged anyway you like. eg. 1=BBC1, 2=BBC2, 3= ITV, 4=Channel 4 etc.
    You would not even need to run a 2nd cable from the dish, (although that is preferable), just use the loop through facilty most sat. receivers (not Sky) have , and just turn the FTA box to standby when you want to use the sky box.
    Look at suppliers in the sticky for a FTA box.
    www.satellite.ie are very well regarded.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,409 ✭✭✭Dr. Nick

Rippy wrote: »
    You would not even need to run a 2nd cable from the dish, (although that is preferable), just use the loop through facilty most sat. receivers (not Sky) have.

I hadn't heard of this. How does it work?

• Registered Users Posts: 966 ✭✭✭Rippy

Dr. Nick wrote: »
    I hadn't heard of this. How does it work?

The loop -through (LNB out) will pass the signal from the LNB through to a second receiver. It also allows the control tones and voltage from the second receiver to travel up to the lnb. 1st receiver should be in stand-by so it is not passiing voltage or switching tones to lnb.
    Not explained very well but I'm sure you get the drift.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,015 ✭✭✭Ludo

This is actually very interesting. I didnt realise you could do this.

So if I understand this, I can connect one of the wires going into the back of my sky+ into an FTA receiver first, then connect the LNB out on the FTA receiver into the SKY+ box and I will be able to unse both boxes on the one tv?

What happens if I want to watch something on the FTA receiver and record something on the SKY+ box? Is this possible or do I always have to have the FTA receiver in standby mode when I want to view/record anything on the sky box?

Advertisement