Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Black screen for a second at startup

Options
  • 03-07-2008 9:10am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,340 ✭✭✭

Everytime I startup my pc, just after the desktop screen comes up it goes black for a second or two. It never lasts long and causes no other issues.
    A bit of googling said it may be sound card related, but I want to get some advice here as to what might be causing it.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,727 ✭✭✭✭Sherifu

Firstly i'd say have a look in the event viewer to see if there are any clues on what it might be.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 163 ✭✭-annex-

Are you using a laptop running Vista? If so it's probably a scheduled task called "Microsoft Transient Multi-Monitor Manager" which looks for any external monitors on startup and would cause that brief black screen. It can be disabled in Task Scheduler.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,340 ✭✭✭Cmar-Ireland

I'm running vista, on a Dell xps 720. Twin 8800gtx cards. It's one of the h2c's that were sold on the dell ebay store last year.

The little dvi symbol does flash up on the top left of the screen when it flashes black.

I'll copy the windows event log into here when I get home if it will be of any help?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭stevire

I get the same, my machine is only a few months old. I got a 7800GTX and worked grand, until I upgraded to the Performance Monitoring and Tweaking package addon in the nVidia software.

Did you install any new patches for your graphics card??

I think the DVI is just when the monitor loses the signal for a sec then receives it again... Would love to see this error sorted, got nothing from google!

Yeah, I have nvidia installed. I can't remember if it happened before that. I try to keep the gfx card up to date with drivers etc.

I read on google that for more stable running you should uninstall previous version gfx drivers after installing the newest one. I wonder if that would help?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 37,485 Mod ✭✭✭✭Khannie

It might be just the monitor switching resolutions.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭stevire

Yeah, I have nvidia installed. I can't remember if it happened before that. I try to keep the gfx card up to date with drivers etc.

I read on google that for more stable running you should uninstall previous version gfx drivers after installing the newest one. I wonder if that would help?

I tried a reinstall of mine before but to no avail... I took it out, uninstalled the drivers then reinstalled with the latest didn't work for me.

Might be some sort of conflict, a lot of my icons in the taskbar are missing too, even though I have "Always Show" on. The processes are running, SQL Server is one for example along with the volume control...

My other icons are fine, all show up. The monitor is running at
    1920 x 1200 (Dell 2707).

No other issues afaik.

Advertisement