Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mavic Ksyrium Wheels

Options
  • 03-07-2008 8:49am
    Registered Users Posts: 349 ✭✭

Thinking of upgrading my wheels, I currently have a pair off Mavic Ksyrium Equipe Wheels, but if I upgraded to a set of Mavic Ksyrium SL Wheels 2008, would the difference be so noticeable ie would the bike be alot faster with the same effort as my current wheels.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,989 ✭✭✭✭blorg

It could, particularly up hills (acceleration is also theoretically faster but I've always noticed the drop in weight more going up a hill), and you will have a red spoke!

Also consider your tyres, tubes and cassette; you can get good weight savings there. I went from a pair of Aksiums to DT Swiss RR1450s and saved (on paper claimed weights- haven't weighed them) around 370g on the wheels but also a further 150g or so on tyres, tubes and cassette. Total 520g, and yes, I do notice the difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭Raam

I have SLs, I think. The red spoke makes all the difference :)
    They are working well for me so far. The only other wheels I've had are lesser Mavic ones.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,133 ✭✭✭Quigs Snr

I used to have Ksyrium SL's. I replaced them last week with a new set of Kysrium ES. I am racing on Cosmics right now (about the same weight as your Elites), do I notice the 300g drop in weight to the ES's ? No. Do my ES wheels feel any quicker than my Fulcrum 5 training wheels (again about 300g heavier). No.

Are they quicker and I just can't feel it ? Maybe. Possibly on a very long and very steep climb, I'm not talking about a gradual pull like Sally Gap here, I might feel a slight difference.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,268 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

I've read that aerodynamics trump weight when it comes to wheel choice. So in theory, your Cosmics might be faster than the Ksyriums even though they're heavier. Would you subscribe to this school of thought?

I reckon so. The Cosmics do take a little extra to accelerate, its barely noticeable, but once they are up to 40kph, it just seems like I require less effort to maintain speed than I do with the Ksyriums, Fulcrums, or even my PlanetX 50's which are also deep sections. I guess this is re-enforced somewhat looking at Pezula who are sponsored by Mavic. They have a choice of Cosmics and KsyriumSL wheels for races. O'Loughlin and Power ride the cosmics mostly...

The cosmics may well the the bike wheel equivalent of a set of garden gates, but they really do feel like they make a difference to me, especially on a flat course (if there are a few sharp climbs, I put on the planet X's, they also fly and are light enough to feel a little better on the 10% + gradients. Ksyriums get saved for days with high wind, or very undulating courses (which seem to be plentiful on the Irish racing scene !).

Even a set of Askiums though over the standard cheapo wheels on some bikes makes one hell of a difference, after that level I think the differences are much smaller.

• Advertisement

el tonto wrote: »
    I've read that aerodynamics trump weight when it comes to wheel choice. So in theory, your Cosmics might be faster than the Ksyriums even though they're heavier. Would you subscribe to this school of thought?
    Only in breakaways AFAIK, they won't give you any benefit in a bunch. Why you see so many deep section rims in time trials, but not in normal road races. Won't help you going up hills either, although they may do coming down! Note I don't race myself so above is just what I gather from what I have read.

The only place I notice the ~520g drop would be going up hills but there I do notice it. Of course my wallet is now substantially lighter too and that adds to the effect :D

• Registered Users Posts: 349 ✭✭digitalage

Thanks lads for the replies, so the premium on the more expensive wheels is weight saving and I'd notice it on climbs, but for speed on a flat course would'nt really notice the difference? Have I got it right?

digitalage wrote: »
    Thanks lads for the replies, so the premium on the more expensive wheels is weight saving and I'd notice it on climbs, but for speed on a flat course would'nt really notice the difference? Have I got it right?
    Yes, but for a flat course you can buy expensive deep-section rims instead, which will have an aero advantage if you are going fast enough and not in a bunch (or at the front of the bunch?) From Mavic, this is what the Cosmic range is designed for, the Ksyriums being the more general purpose/climbing wheels.

All that being said though, nothing wrong with the Ksyrium SL's. Light enough to race on, strong enough to train on. You can't go wrong. If I could only have one wheel that I had to use all year round, they would be the choice.

Although if you asked me what wheels I really wanted I would tell you "Lightweights" carbon ones. Mmmm, lightest wheels you can get. I know a fella selling a set at the minute, bargain, he bought em for over 3k and will sell for about 2k...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,928 ✭✭✭cantalach

I would agree that if you're sole consideration is raw performance, the case for low profile wheels like the Mavic Ksyriums and Campag Neutrons is strongest when you're going up and down a lot. For flat 'n' fast stuff, a deep section wheel will be better. But when you're not buying a wheel specifically for racing there's a lot more to consider than just raw performance. Remember that low profile wheels have greater vertical compliance than deep section wheels and this makes them much more comfortable. If you want a sportif-type wheel for 7-8 hour rides on Irish back roads, this is an important consideration. From what I understand, some of the deep section wheels leave you feeling very beaten up after a long day in the saddle. Another advantage to the low profile wheels is that they are much safer in cross winds. Finally, remember that the jury is still out regarding the durability of carbon rims when the going gets tough. And with some of the potholes you encounter on Irish roads the going certainly does get tough from time to time!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 349 ✭✭digitalage

Thanks for all the inforamtion, plenty for me to ponder over before I make a choice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Blarneycc

Raam wrote: »
    I have SLs, I think. The red spoke makes all the difference :)
    They are working well for me so far. The only other wheels I've had are lesser Mavic ones.

Hi just bought the same wheels today and not sure if I need rim tape for tubes

• Registered Users Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭Raam

Blarneycc wrote: »
    Hi just bought the same wheels today and not sure if I need rim tape for tubes

I can't remember if mine have tape or not :)

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,268 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

Mavic site says the outer wall of the rim isn't drilled, so you probably won't need tape. I've a set of campag wheels like that and don't use tape either.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Blarneycc

I thought as much but its best to be sure.
    Thanks for your assistance:)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,030 ✭✭✭CheGuedara

Hey, have used both the equipe and the Ksyrium SLs. Cant say if they will make you faster overnight by swapping them on but the lower weight does feel like you can get up to speed a bit faster, whether I'm aware of it all the time I'm not so sure. And they are definitely a more rigid wheelset that the equipes - way less deflection under power.

I'd agree that their benefit is most felt on the climbs though and the deep section rims found on the cosmics, lightweights, zipps etc would be slower to get speed up on but easier to hold once cruising (someting to do with rotational mass I think). Depends on what kind of cycling you do and the maths sit - ksyrium SLs are maybe 700 yoyos, add another hundred and you're looking at cosmic carbone SL that are twice as tall at the rim and 255g heavier.

If youre looking for price vs weight you could also consider Fulcrum or Campag wheels - the racing zero and eurus wheelsets are in the same price window

Advertisement