Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ownership of Skybox???

Options
  • 02-07-2008 11:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 47

I have my Sky box since 2005 and I'm getting in Sky+ in 2 weeks, do I own the current box or do Sky? Will the installer want to take the old box with him and if he does want to take it am I within my rights to insist that it's my property and it's staying put?
    Any help is appreciated, thanx

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,327 ✭✭✭✭Tony

Its yours to keep

Giggsy75 wrote: »
    I have my Sky box since 2005 and I'm getting in Sky+ in 2 weeks, do I own the current box or do Sky? Will the installer want to take the old box with him and if he does want to take it am I within my rights to insist that it's my property and it's staying put?
    Any help is appreciated, thanx

Desktop PC Boards discount code on https://www.satellite.ie/ is boards.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 47 Giggsy75

Just as a matter of interest will this box be of any use to me, can I set it up in another room?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

Giggsy75 wrote: »
    Just as a matter of interest will this box be of any use to me, can I set it up in another room?
    Even I can answer this. :) You'll have 4 inputs on your satellite. Only 2 of them will be used (for the Sky+ box). Just run coaxial cable from 1 of the free inputs into the back of your Sky box and you'll have all the FTA channels.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,313 ✭✭✭✭Sam Kade

Don't think so, only for free to air channels. That's why they charge €15 extra a month for a second box.

Thanks for the info guys, sorry for all the questions last one... I think :o
    If I did run the cable from the +box to the regular box will it show FTA channels independently of whats on the the +box ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,905 ✭✭✭steveon

You need to run the cable directly from the dish to the room you wish to install your old box in order to receive the fta channels. If you run a cable from the sky+ box to another room you can view whatever is on the sky + box only but with a magic eye properly setup you can change the channels in the second room....

Happy now, all questions answered, cheers everyone :D

Your best bet would be to ask the installer to run another cable for you if he gives you a decent price.

Tony wrote: »
    Your best bet would be to ask the installer to run another cable for you if he gives you a decent price.
    Tony, I rang up Sky to order HD yesterday. I currently have the basic Digital so it's an upgrade. I told the guy on the phone that my satellite is down from the wall and the cables are gone (because of refurbishment in the house). It'll be like installing Sky from scratch for the installer except he can use the old dish. The guy on the phone said he hadn't come across anything like this before so he'd leave a note for the technician. He also said if the technician comes to install it and says he can't do it I'll just get a refund.

Anyway, do you think I'll get charged more than €49 for this installation?

No idea, sorry

eirebhoy wrote: »

• Advertisement

Tony wrote: »
    No idea, sorry
    No problem. I won't be there when the installer comes on Monday. I'll leave 30 quid there just in case.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,015 ✭✭✭Ludo

eirebhoy wrote: »
    Tony, I rang up Sky to order HD yesterday. I currently have the basic Digital so it's an upgrade. I told the guy on the phone that my satellite is down from the wall and the cables are gone (because of refurbishment in the house). It'll be like installing Sky from scratch for the installer except he can use the old dish. The guy on the phone said he hadn't come across anything like this before so he'd leave a note for the technician. He also said if the technician comes to install it and says he can't do it I'll just get a refund.

Well the pricing for HD is this apparently (Tony posted this in another thread):
    tandalone standard box - €0 (new customers), €0 (existing customers or €69 if already taken)
    Install - €50 (new & existing)
    Standalone HD box - €149 (new & existing)
    FTA pricing remains the same

So I don't see why you would be charged more than €50 for the installation regardless of what your current setup is. If there was nothing there it would be €50. So seeing as there is a dish present, why would it be more than that?

Ludo wrote: »
    Well the pricing for HD is this apparently (Tony posted this in another thread):
    tandalone standard box - €0 (new customers), €0 (existing customers or €69 if already taken)
    Standalone HD box - €149 (new & existing)
    FTA pricing remains the same

So I don't see why you would be charged more than €50 for the installation regardless of what your current setup is. If there was nothing there it would be €50. So seeing as there is a dish present, why would it be more than that?
    Well the installer is only coming out to do an "upgrade". He doesn't get paid any more money by his employers to spend time setting up the satellite and putting in extra cable. I was on to Sky again this morning. The guy asked around and all he said is that there's a chance the installer mightn't do it. He said just give a cup of tea and few biscuits and hope he's in a good mood. If he doesn't install it I'll have to pay €65 to get my dish "re-alligned" and then pay the €50 on top of that to get HD installed. If it comes to it I'd just cancel Sky and order HD then.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,045 ✭✭✭deaglan169

i cant see why the installer wont do it he will probably be expecting a dish single lnb and cable run so its not much more work to install new dish and twin cable, i work for a large company here in the south installing sky and we have new rules and regs all upgrades from standard to sky+ and sky+HD must get two new cable runs not 1 new 1 old and if dish is dodgy looking must be replaced also we have QC's on all our jobs so we have to

deaglan169 wrote: »
    i cant see why the installer wont do it he will probably be expecting a dish single lnb and cable run so its not much more work to install new dish and twin cable, i work for a large company here in the south installing sky and we have new rules and regs all upgrades from standard to sky+ and sky+HD must get two new cable runs not 1 new 1 old and if dish is dodgy looking must be replaced also we have QC's on all our jobs so we have to
    Cheers. It should be fine so.

i cant see why the installer wont do it

Eh if hes not paid to?

EH well im paid for an upgrade from stb to sky+ same as from sky+ to sky+HD

EH well im paid for an upgrade from stb to sky+ same as from sky+ to sky+HD

Fair enough if hes paid to do the work but surely an upgrade from + to Hd is a box swap, assuming it was installed correctly in the first place.

i know were your coming from tony once the HD takes off i reckon they will soon change how were paid regarding these jobs but at the moment i get same for swapping a box as i do for complete install for new customer

The installer was sound and spent over and hour setting it up for me yesterday. He didn't plug the box into the phone line, just just plugged a wireless thing in for the callback and took the plug back out when finished. Am I expected to plug in the phone line myself?

• Advertisement
Advertisement