Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Berlin in September

Options
  • 02-07-2008 11:51pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 18

Im an Irish student studying German in college.
    Will have the month of september off from both work and college this year so am considering heading to Berlin for the month. My idea is basically to try and get a flat or something for the month and maybe work a little in a hotel or something just to pay for rent.

Do you think that this would be possible? Would I find somewhere to live and somewhere to work for just a couple of weeks?

I dont really know where to start looking for information on all of this so any suggestions or advise would be very helpful!!

Thanks!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,706 ✭✭✭craichoe

Im an Irish student studying German in college.
    Will have the month of september off from both work and college this year so am considering heading to Berlin for the month. My idea is basically to try and get a flat or something for the month and maybe work a little in a hotel or something just to pay for rent.

Do you think that this would be possible? Would I find somewhere to live and somewhere to work for just a couple of weeks?

I dont really know where to start looking for information on all of this so any suggestions or advise would be very helpful!!

Thanks!

Heres one,
    http://www.ferienwohnung-zimmer-berlin.de/Unterkuenfte-eng/unterkunft.php?lage=30&sortBy=preis_1&zimmer=1&personenzahl=1&&personenzahl=1&unr=58

19 euro a night.
    I used this crowd and they are in fairness fantastic.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,714 ✭✭✭conZ

Yo.

I'm living in Berlin for about 7 weeks now, staying until September.
    Absolutely crazy city.

You'll find something (short term work) handy enough if you've got German. With regards to accomodation, well, apartment rental is a bit harder in Germany (maybe you know this already).

When taking a room in an apartment, you've to go through the interview with the tenants. You've to show proof of a wage (letter from employer etc.) and you'll have to pay a deposit, maybe a months deposit which is a bit of a bitch.

Send me a PM or something a few weeks before you come out and i'll see what I can swing here.

Have you been in Berlin before?

also www.toytowngermany.com

accomodation, work etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18 Choc.Monster

Have never been to Berlin before but have a fairly reasonable standard of German so that should make life easier for me!

Don't know why exactly I've decided on Berlin! As you say conZ, the place is supposed to be crazy so I think that might have made me decide it's a good idea!! ha!

Good websites so far guys, thanks. Anyone else with suggestions very very welcome! I want all the info I can get!

Definately drop me a line a few weeks before you come out, might be able to sort something for you. (What have you experience in - kitchen, hotel, bar, office?)

Any other questions or info required post them up, i'll keep an eye on this thread. Toytown is quite good, popular.

Berlin is a very cool city. Most Germans say that Berlin is not a part of Germany, completely different mentality to every other city, and many think that they're in their own little Berliner Cuckoo Land.

Very laid back, people are v.nice, good vibe and atmosphere, very cheap (especially apartment wise). I'm contemplating coming out here for good. Clubbing and Partying here are on a different level too, and there's always plenty of gigs on...

You'll need to get a Burgerampt card to work available from the Burgerampt with proof of address and passport... (A good one would be to send the Pub Crawl people a few emails before you come out, they might be looking for people after alll their employees leaving in September, steady wage (€10+ per hour), get to relax in the park or swimming at the freibad during the day, serious craic, though you're gonna be surrounded by a lot of stupid Americans, but you'll have your pick of women/men...) Sandemans New Berlin, Insomniac Tours etc. You'll find them easy enough. Tell them you're gonna be here till Xmas or something, and dust them come October.

Gotta run!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,963 ✭✭✭Cool_CM

Hey, I've been living in Berlin for the past year studying, I can't recommend it highly enough, as ConZ said the place is great for everything. It's one of the most laid back places I've ever been to. Clubs are great, people are sound, living is cheaper than back home and there's always something to do.
    Have a look on toytowngermany.com as previously mentioned for jobs, also check out this german site
    www.kigigi.de
    If you are going to try and work with the pub crawl groups i'd give them an email now as the jobs are quite sought after, and they generally have a big list of people who have applied that they go through before looking at new applications. You will have to register with the local Bürgerampt both to live and if you want to work though which can be anooying as it can take some time to get your tax and all the red tape sorted out. A friend of mine has worked for Sandemanns, who do the tours, since march and only got paid for the first time last month.
    On the renting an appartment bit, i's stay clear of toytowngermany for that as the rates given are generally from english speaking people who will charge you english speaking prices. It would be cheaper and easier to get a room in a WG (Wohngemeinschaft) where the appartment is already being rented by somebody and they need somebody to fill a room. Try having a look at this site:
    http://www.wg-gesucht.de/
    You could also try Ex Berliner, the english magazine's site too http://www.exberliner.net/home.php (though it may also be english speaking prices.)
    Sorry this is a bit thrown together, if you need any more info then PM me. Hope it comes together for you, Berlin is a great place, you won't want to come home!

Were you at the fan mile the other day Cool_CM?

Nope, got there too late, ended up in Kulturbrauerei instead, was there for the turkey match though, it was epic! There's a few boardsies floting around here, we should try and organise a beers!

Met a dude fitting your description leaving the fan mile alright, pucking out the German facepaint. Must organise a session alright, i'm always game.

conZ wrote: »
    Met a dude fitting your description leaving the fan mile alright, pucking out the German facepaint. Must organise a session alright, i'm always game.
    My description pucking out the German facepaint you say? Uh oh.....
    *Puts on tin foil hat*

• Advertisement

Hah.

I wonder are you the same person... Red hair, no?

conZ wrote: »
    Hah.

I wonder are you the same person... Red hair, no?
    Wait a minute, you were the Irish lads over by the big green area on the way to Hauptbahnhof who I gave the face paint to before having to catch up with the rest of my group? That's f*cking weird!

Hahah, that is weird. That was us alright. I was the dude with all the Ireland gear on. Crazy ****.

So further developments....

Im planning to fly to Berlin on 30th August. I haven't quite figured out when to leave yet. 27th September perhaps, but am not entirely sure.

Really like the idea of working for one these pub crawl crowds. I'm working in a tourist office at the moment so more work with tourists would suit me down to the ground. Have emailed a few places & one said to contact them when I get to Berlin. I know that it would be sensible to tell them I'll stay until Christmas and then do a runner, but unfortunately I don't know how to tell lies!! ha! And even if I could tell them, I talk far too much so I'd be caught out!! That'll work to my disadvantage, I know, but hopefully I'll find something all the same.

I've worked for the tourist office & have also worked in a hotel and restaurant so any of those areas would be grand if ye have anymore suggestions!!

I guess I'd be best writing to these companies in German, wouldn't i? So far I've written in English because their websites are in English but if I showed I could also speak German by writing in that language i'd probably stand a better chance!!

I've been looking through toytowngermany & wg-gesucht and they both seem very useful. I might actually have already found a place to stay via toy town. Have to email the guy again in 2 weeks to see what he wants to do. The place is in Kreuzberg, so that would be cool!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 74 ✭✭MarkOShea

If you're only going for a month and can afford not to work, don't. If you do try get a job with one of the tours, LIE! You might regret telling them up front you'll onyl be there for a month.

The cost of living in Berlin is a fair bit cheaper than back home though. Rent in a houseshare should set you back between €200 and €300 all in. Get a place in Kreuzberg or Prenzlauer Berg or Friedrichschain if you can, full of students who spend their days in parks and coffee shops. A monthly pass for the transit system is €72 or so. Only €50 if you don't want to use it before 10am Mon-Thurs. A transit pass is a must as they check all the time, and you can't see the feckers coming because they dress like normal passengers. Eating out is relatively cheap and drink is very cheap.

I'm just back from about 3 months there and enjoyed every day of it. If you get a chance do get out of the city though. There are some really nice forests/lakes only a half hour train ride away.

So...

I've found a flat to live in, in Friedrichshain, with 5 other students. Very happy about that!! I can't move in until 1st September, although I'm flying into Berlin on 30th August. I'm either going to stay in a hostel for those 2 nights (With a view to possibly getting a job there afterwards if possible) or else try couch surfing. Anyone any suggestions for hostels or have a couch to offer me?! :) I'm on couch surfers anyway, so hopefully I'll find something there!!

Thanks everyone, for your advice, it's been really helpful!

Advertisement