Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Online data backup for small company

Options
  • 02-07-2008 10:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 731 ✭✭✭

Hi

As the title says im looking for Online data backup for a small company.

At first a nightly incremental would be fine of say 10-20 mb upload each night with a max capacity altogether of 10gig

Also AS A NICE TO HAVE FEATURE...THE FOLLOWING:

In the near future i would also need a weekly backup and archive it temporarily for say 6 weeks and finally to get a monthly backup archived and kept permanently

Is there any company that comes to mind. Irish/UK based with a proven track record i.e. no fly by nights...

Seperatly is there any freeware/cheap software that would upload remotely onto my home server weekly as added insurance?

Any comments welcome.

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,060 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

I imagine you could map your home server as a network drive to your work computer (which I imagine you can). This would mean that when you open up my computer you'd see it as a drive in there. Then you could just write a batch file to do the backup for you and schedule it to run every week. There was a great thread about creating a batch file not too long ago. I'll dig it up.

Don't know much about online data backup but I've heard of keepitsafe.ie, no idea if they're any good though. Seeing as you only need 10GBs max, could you not use a 16GB pen drive (maybe even get a few) and make the backups to that and one of the employees could take it home with them.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,926 ✭✭✭trout

If the data is anyway confidential or commercially sensitive, I would be careful about using USB keys without encrypting the data. Same goes for an online solution ... if it's important enough to back up, you should also think about encryption.

USB keys are fierce handy ... but they are so easy to lose as well.
    Some USB keys feature hardware or software encryption ... but these are pricier than the vanilla ones. If money is no object ... you could look at a device called IronKey ... which features hardware encryption and tamper proof casings. You can only buy them in the US though.

If you can depend on staff in the office to remember to back-up to USB each night, would you trust them to use some form of encryption software as well ?

I'm thinking something simple like WinZip 10 - 256 bit AES encryption ?

Failing that - I've seen some USB hard-disks which feature one button backups, which also come with scheduling software that you can generate and modify scripts for ... I'm thinking of Iomega external drives here, but I don't have details of the software to hand.

For the volumes you are talking about - I can't think of any online solution - hopefully someone here will have some suggestions.

• Registered Users Posts: 731 ✭✭✭dwayneburke

Thanks almightcushion, but the company in question has been doing the mobile hard drive/usb flash thing for past year but it needs a traceable system for auditors etc ( I forgot to mention this in first place)

Its customers NEED to be secure in the knowledge thats its data is safe and that it cannot be compromised. A proven track history with some sort of accreditation e.g. ISO standard would be an added benefit and encyrption enroute is a must. They have been ftp'ing to a home PC also but it just doesnt cut the mustard anymore....

Thanks

trout wrote: »
    If the data is anyway confidential or commercially sensitive, I would be careful about using USB keys without encrypting the data.

They are fierce handy ... but they are so easy to lose as well.

If you can depend on staff in the office to remember to back-up to USB each night, would you trust them to use some form of encryption software as well ?

I'm thinking something simple like WinZip 10 - 256 bit AES encryption ?

You beat me too it!!!

And NO, i never depend on staff to do backups nevermind encryption...in fact i dont depend on myself to do it sometimes!!!

I need to show a capable 3rd party company are involved. In the future they will be backing up SQL databases etc but this wont be for 3-6 months and i need to allow for this rather than changing providers again to minimise disruption.

Thanks

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,060 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Thanks almightcushion, but the company in question has been doing the mobile hard drive/usb flash thing for past year but it needs a traceable system for auditors etc ( I forgot to mention this in first place)

Its customers NEED to be secure in the knowledge thats its data is safe and that it cannot be compromised. A proven track history with some sort of accreditation e.g. ISO standard would be an added benefit and encyrption enroute is a must. They have been ftp'ing to a home PC also but it just doesnt cut the mustard anymore....

Thanks

Ah I see so that rules that out.

I found the thread I was on about earlier (http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=55702766#post55702766). If you map your home server to your then you'll be able to use that batch file (with a bit of tweaking) to back it up to your home server.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,926 ✭✭✭trout

Ooh! tasty problem.

Scripted solutions are out, FTP is out, USB solutions are out.
    You really need an enterprise solution - despite the small volumes.

Hmmm ... *starts to google*

• Registered Users Posts: 16,288 ✭✭✭✭ntlbell

ssh and lease a cheap dedi server?

Lads, Appreciate the comments

But, looking for a cast iron solution that will keep other companies vetting us that their info is secure and not on some home setup.

Needs to have SLA's on downtime and GUARANTEED or ALMOST GUARANTEED response times in case of Recovery.

Google is great but i need personal non biased opinions on personal experiences etc if possible.

Cheers,

DB

• Registered Users Posts: 5,918 ✭✭✭Steffano2002

What do you think of this dwayneburke?

Granted it's Eircon but you get 6Gb secure online storage for €5 EUR a month (after you pay the €33.99 EUR service cost...).

• Registered Users Posts: 5,918 ✭✭✭Steffano2002

Just read the thread again and I don't think that Eircon data back-up service would be to ISO standard... :o

• Advertisement

Cheers though,

ISO is not a must but a proven record OR accreditation would be great.

Irish/UK is a must though...

Tks Again

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 6,524 Mod ✭✭✭✭dregin

Take a look at www.avova.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 10,257 ✭✭✭✭Standard Toaster

We use this crowd in work

www.ironmountain.ie

Altough we use our own server inhouse but they do offer an online solution.
    We only use it for PSTs and the compression technology they use for PSTs (Office 2003+) is amazing. Office 2000 supported but no incremental backups of PST....only full.

It's fully automated but the users have the option to recover files on there own.

The first actual backup can take an age but sure that all depends on what you define.

Advertisement