Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Registered charity?

Options
  • 02-07-2008 7:11pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2

Hi can anyone tell me how to find out if a charity is registered or not? I understand a charity has to register with the revenue commissioners, but I don't see any info on their website.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,731 ✭✭✭DadaKopf

There's no official charities registry at the momenet. That's one of the proposals for the Charities Legislation.

You might be able to find info indirectly, though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,809 ✭✭✭edanto

Fingers crossed Dada that legislation finally comes through - how long have we been waiting for it!?

Until there is the kind of charities regulator and register that we should have, there are a few ways to check a charities bonafides.

Get their company number, which HAS to be at the end of all of their emails and on their website. go to CRO.ie and search for them. Then you can download their accounts - but these are often low in information.

The oft-quoted CHY number is one that the Revenue grant to organisations that they consider charitable and hence Tax-Exempt. You can download the current list of seven and a half thousand orgs from here http://www.revenue.ie/doc/charities_%20numeric.xls

You can check the website to see who is on their board, and also get a sense of their business model. For example, one company (all charities are companies) that does overseas volunteering does it on a for-profit basis and often comes in for a hard time for this. They aren't on the Revenue list.

There's nothing inherently wrong in what they're doing, but people often assume that because they use words like volunteering that it's not-for-profit and are sometimes disappointed to be interacting with a slick business unit.

Can you tell us what charity you're researching, please?

Advertisement