Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

International Driving Permit

Options
  • 02-07-2008 5:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 36

Hi

I'm a brazilian full license holder and I just applied for the International Driving Permit to get my brazilian license translated so I could drive here in Ireland. But anyway I'm doing a Driver Theory Test this week to get my irish license and then apply for the full one and do all the stuff required... But, in the meanwhile, can I still drive here in Ireland, given that I'm already a full license holder (not a european license though, but a translation of a brazilian one)... Can I drive here?

Thank you all!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,359 ✭✭✭cyclopath2001

I think yes as long as you have a certified translation of the Brazilian driving permit. As far as I know, an 'International License' is just a certificate verifying your original license in multiple languages.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 236 ✭✭bo-bo

fmagosso wrote: »
    Hi

I'm a brazilian full license holder and I just applied for the International Driving Permit to get my brazilian license translated so I could drive here in Ireland. But anyway I'm doing a Driver Theory Test this week to get my irish license and then apply for the full one and do all the stuff required... But, in the meanwhile, can I still drive here in Ireland, given that I'm already a full license holder (not a european license though, but a translation of a brazilian one)... Can I drive here?

Thank you all!

dude, cancel that application for the international driving permit.......while its a useful translation its basically a very expensive piece of paper.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,188 ✭✭✭wil

You can drive for up to one year from your first arrival in Ireland on your current full Brazilian licence.

If your licence is only in Portuguese, it might be a requirement to carry an IDL with your licence. Your embassy should be able to tell you. You should get your IDL from your own country and it should be minimal cost. It is purely a translation so that gardai who probably are not fluent in Portuguese can know if your licence allows you to drive a car or a fighter jet.

Dont bother with any of those ridiculous so called IDLs available on the internet at a cost of 100 or more. You are throwing money away on a worthless card.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,436 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Agree with wil that it might be an idea to get one. The Gardai here won't be too familiar with Brazilian licences (unless it's that place that has all the Brazilians working there for the local meat processing plant .. can't remember where it is now). Usually (well in Europe at least) they're issued by the motoring organisations such as the AA or RAC here and in the UK, ADAC in Germany, ANWB in the Netherlands etc. They're pretty cheap IIRC and can be issued on the spot.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,964 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

bo-bo wrote: »
    dude, cancel that application for the international driving permit.......while its a useful translation its basically a very expensive piece of paper.
    At €5.08, it's hardly going to break the bank!

• Advertisement

At €5.08, it's hardly going to break the bank!

lol, didnt realise that - i was dealing with a pakistani couple recently, they had paid approx €150 each iirc for the same thing :eek:

wil wrote: »
    Dont bother with any of those ridiculous so called IDLs available on the internet at a cost of 100 or more. You are throwing money away on a worthless card.

thats what the people i was talking to were stung for id say, it was a small booklet with what i can only assume were there licence details in multiple languages.

i must check up on the statutory basis for those docs......although im assuming that there just for convienience???

• Registered Users Posts: 24,964 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

they had paid approx €150 each iirc for the same thing :eek:
    Perhaps it's different for non-nationals!
    International Driving Permit

An International Driving Permit is recognised internationally and allows the motorist to drive a motor vehicle without further formality.

An International Driving Permit (IDP) is available to Irish Residents, with a current full Irish Driving Licence. Each Licence is valid for one year from date of issue.

An IDP is also available to EU/EEA* Licence holders who are also resident in Ireland.

(*EEA - Iceland, Norway, Liechtenstein)

There are two types of IDP

A 1949 Convention IDP/permit is usually issued, and is recognised in most countries.
    A 1926 Convention IDP/permit is required for the following countries: Brazil, Iraq, Nigeria, Somalia.

How to get an IDP

An IDP can be obtained for €5.08 each,when accompanied by a valid full Republic of Ireland Drivers Licence, a passport photograph and a completed application form. If you require both licences, please send two photographs, two completed applications and double the fee to €10.16. If applying on an EU/EEA licence please supply a copy of a utility bill showing your address of residence.

Applications & Permits available from:

Most AA Outlets - excluding Walkinstown and Killester
    By post, AA Travel, 56 Drury Street, Dublin 2
    By calling (01) 6179988
    Print an APPLICATION FORM and return with payment to the above address.

sorry op for not reading your post correctly, you can safely disregard my musings ;)

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 68,015 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

lol, didnt realise that - i was dealing with a pakistani couple recently, they had paid approx €150 each iirc for the same thing :eek:

By any chance were they conned by one of the places online that sell them for stupidly huge fees (or even worse, sell fake ones)? Generally they're available from your local automobile club (AA here, AAA in the US, etc) for less than whatever $10USD works out as...

Its Gort that the huge number of Brazilians.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 36 fmagosso

Thank you all guys for you answers!
    I feel pretty stupid right now that I already SENT the post order payment of € 120. :(

Yes, I heard about this place... Gort... Packed of Brazilians... But I'm not there, I'm here in Dublin. :)

Well, What I'm gonna do is wait for my IDP, do my Irish Theory Test (this Saturday, which I'm looking forward to... lol), and apply for the Irish Full License as soon as I can (if I pass the theory test, of course).

Probably I'm gonna buy a car before I'll get the Full Irish License in hands, and in the case of the Gardaí stop me, I'm gonna show them my IDP and tell them that I already applied for the Irish license and I'm on the queue for the Driving Test to get the full one done. Hope there won't be a hassle.

PS: I was really surprise with the number of answers! Thanks again fellas!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,725 ✭✭✭Bluefoam

Thank you all guys for you answers!
    I feel pretty stupid right now that I already SENT the post order payment of € 120. :(

Yes, I heard about this place... Gort... Packed of Brazilians... But I'm not there, I'm here in Dublin. :)

Well, What I'm gonna do is wait for my IDP, do my Irish Theory Test (this Saturday, which I'm looking forward to... lol), and apply for the Irish Full License as soon as I can (if I pass the theory test, of course).

Probably I'm gonna buy a car before I'll get the Full Irish License in hands, and in the case of the Gardaí stop me, I'm gonna show them my IDP and tell them that I already applied for the Irish license and I'm on the queue for the Driving Test to get the full one done. Hope there won't be a hassle.

PS: I was really surprise with the number of answers! Thanks again fellas!

You should be able to drive for a year on your current license, with the international permit, so you have a year to get your full Irish.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,706 ✭✭✭craichoe

Might want to check out with Insurance companies too if they'll accept it, alot of crowds won't accept an Indian driving license for example.

Checkout with Driver license office if you can swap it.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 68,015 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Don't tell them you've applied for an Irish test - another poster on here (Wishbone Ash I think?) pointed out in a similar thread that you can only have one valid licence per category, so they could do you for driving unaccompanied. Just show them the Brazilian + IDP.

Advertisement