Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Time Lapse software

Options
  • 02-07-2008 3:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,736 ✭✭✭

Since seeing some of the time-lapse stuff here I thought I would try it myself.

Software is available if you pay for it, however, I did find a cheaper option.

I used my standard webcam, looking out the office window. Results are fair (2 attempts so far).

Clouds always look fantastic on time lapse.

Download the software here.

I used all free software, Photobooth, Irfanview & PhotoLapse. I have included a readme in the zip file to walk you through your first time lapse experiment.

eta: All the software is run as 'local' or 'portable', that is, there is no installing to do, just unzip the folder and follow the instructions.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 364 ✭✭Weather BOFH

Great vids CH, I'm always mesmerized by time lapse videos of clouds myself, have been taking lots over the last few weeks! :D

I've never tried with a webcam, but I'll have to give it a shot seeing as you packaged everything up! Do you record a full stream or just take shots with the cam every couple of seconds? I used PhotoLapse when I started but I found it had problems with large images (I shoot at 2272x1704) and now use JPEGVideo instead, which is also free.

Most Canon cameras come with software to let you take images remotely from your PC which you can then use with PhotoLapse or JPEGVideo. GBTimelapse though is well worth the €50 though, it lets you control all camera settings (ISO, shutter speed, aperture, etc.) and even lets you schedule everything, I've set mine up to start 60 mins before sunrise and finish 60 mins after just in case I miss anything interesting during the day :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,736 ✭✭✭ch750536

Funny you say that, my webcam can do a far higher res than it is set as above, however, through photobooth it just wont take it.

I have never managed to get my cannon hooked up to the PC, dont know why, they just don't like each other.

I set it up to take 1 shot every 10 secs, which is stored as a bitmap.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,335 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

Yop could upload your weather cam images to wunderground.com.

They automatically make timelapse vids, here's the annamoe.net ones for example - http://www.wunderground.com/webcams/Churada/1/show.html

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

Cant use the GB software as Cannon have not released drivers for Vista, hence my connection issues.

Supercell wrote: »
    Yop could upload your weather cam images to wunderground.com.

They automatically make timelapse vids, here's the annamoe.net ones for example - http://www.wunderground.com/webcams/Churada/1/show.html

I would if I could find any way whatsoever of uploading to them. One of those click & hope websites.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 364 ✭✭Weather BOFH

ch750536 wrote: »
    Cant use the GB software as Cannon have not released drivers for Vista, hence my connection issues.

Did you try it in compatibility mode? It worked for me the short time I had Vista on my laptop.
    Supercell wrote:
    Yop could upload your weather cam images to wunderground.com

Must give that a try, but as CH said, I'll have to find it first :D Is there any way of setting the frame rate and stuff like that and do they have a limit on the number of images or size of the video? Most of my videos end up like 7000 frames or so.

nemonoid wrote: »
    Did you try it in compatibility mode? It worked for me the short time I had Vista on my laptop.
    Yeah, no luck, was crashtastic.

nemonoid wrote: »
    Must give that a try, but as CH said, I'll have to find it first :D Is there any way of setting the frame rate and stuff like that and do they have a limit on the number of images or size of the video? Most of my videos end up like 7000 frames or so.
    1 frame per minute max, found it on the webcam page, however, have not managed to get the FTP working.

Advertisement