Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Who's your favourite character and why?

Options
  • 02-07-2008 1:00am
    Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,280 ✭✭✭✭

Apart from Zaphod Beeblebrox (obviously!), mine has to be Hotblack Desiato, the keyboard player from Disaster Area. I love him for two reasons, first the fact that he was spending a year dead "for tax reasons", a brilliant concerpt, and second because Douglas Adams borrrowed the name from an estate agents in London. The best bit though is that they have received quite a few calls from people complaining that they robbed the name from Adams. :D

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,148 ✭✭✭✭KnifeWRENCH

I've only read the first 2 books (will read the rest during the summer) but my favourite character so far is definitely Marvin. I'm a moody pessimistic bastard so I can relate to him! (I'm not as smart as him though :()

"The first ten million years were the worst. And the second ten million years, they were the worst too. The third ten million years I didn't enjoy at all. After that I went into a bit of a decline."

• Registered Users Posts: 25,229 ✭✭✭✭King Mob

Eccentrica Gallumbits The Triple-Breasted Whore of Eroticon Six
    Cause it's a fun name to say.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,972 ✭✭✭orestes

It's gotta be Marvin. Just pure genius :D

• Registered Users Posts: 9,925 ✭✭✭trout

Slartibartfast.

Something very noble about him. And he won awards for fjords ... which is nice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

trout wrote: »
    Slartibartfast.

I love this fella too.

Because he called Arthur:

"Dentarthurdent".

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

...oh and Wonko The Sane.

I had toyed with using that as my user name on here actually.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,571 ✭✭✭The Don

The man who controls the universeis brilliant. Marvin is class too.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

Marvin always wrecked my head.

I'll always have a soft spot for the captain of the "ark" (full of telephone cleaners and marketing people) who constantly took baths. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Too many to list its all about the characterisation by the actor for me - so John Le Mesurier as the befudled "wise old bird" was wonderful but so was Peter Jones as The Book and Bill Paterson as Assistant Arcturan Pilot in one episode. David Jason as the Ark captian too (quick edit!)

Mike.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

Anyone remember the name of the guy who wanted to insult every living being in the universe?

And the guy that Arthur kept on killing over and over was pretty funny as well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,138 ✭✭✭takola

stevec wrote: »
    Anyone remember the name of the guy who wanted to insult every living being in the universe?

And the guy that Arthur kept on killing over and over was pretty funny as well.

That was Walbagger The Infinitely Prolonged! :D

Aggrajag was the guy Arther kept killing. Was very funny.

My favourite character has to be Zaphod. Who when I first saw the books I pronounced as Zaffoid, which caused much laughter. :D

I love the passage in the restaurant at the end of the universe between Gaggravar and Zaphod when Zaff's on the Frogstar. I think it would have to be my favourite passage from all the books. When Gaggravar explains to Zaff about his body and him have arguments about sex and fishing. Absolute genius! :D

takola wrote: »
    That was Walbagger The Infinitely Prolonged! :D

I thought his name was Wowbagger :confused:

trout wrote: »
    I thought his name was Wowbagger :confused:

/gets out book to double check. You're probably right.

Yep, you're right. Wowbagger.

takola wrote: »
    Yep, you're right. Wowbagger.

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 14,163 ✭✭✭✭danniemcq

Marvin FTW he always makes me smile when i think about him. plus my mate quoting the brain the size of a small planet and having to do menial tasks bit as he jacked up a fuin fair ride. ah terence if you read this thanks for that!

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 14,478 Mod ✭✭✭✭johnnyskeleton

mike65 wrote: »
    . David Jason as the Ark captian too (quick edit!)

+1.

Also these guys:
    "Now see here, guy," said the voice on the loud hailer, "You're not dealing with any dumb two-bit trigger-pumping morons with low hairlines, little piggy eyes and no conversation, we're a couple of intelligent caring guys that you'd probably quite like if you met us socially! I don't go around gratuitously shooting people and then bragging about it afterwards in seedy space-rangers bars, like some cops I could mention! I go around shooting people gratuitously and then I agonize about it afterwards for hours to my girlfriend!"
    "And I write novels!" chimed in the other cop. "though I haven't had any of them published yet, so I better warn you, I'm in a meeeeean mood!"

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,869 ✭✭✭Mahatma coat

not so much a person as a race of people,

The Krikkits, such pure malevolence, my favourite part of the story is the bit about the Krikkit wars

Advertisement