Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Oileán Thoraí

Options
  • 01-07-2008 8:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭

Hi, I'd like to head up from Dublin and visit Tory Island for a few days.

I won't have a car so I was thinking of flying up to Carrickfinn and getting a taxi to Bunbeg. Then we'd stay the evening there and get the 9am ferry the next morning.

Does this sound like a reasonable plan?
    Any advice or suggestions would be appreciated!

Go raibh maith agaibh..

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,473 ✭✭✭R0ot

Sounds grand, just don't count on reasonable weather atm but that's to be expected. I don't know Tory well myself but i'm sure someone here does and will fill you in with any relevant information :D

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭donegalboy

Great plan. If the weather is affecting the ferry sailings you can get a helicopter ride out. However, you have to book this well in advance by contacting Tory Co-op on 074 91 35502 during officer hours. Islanders are given first preference for this service.
    Havent been there yet but its meant to be a great place and youll also get a chance to meet Ireland's only living King, Patsy Dan Rodgers.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,884 ✭✭✭✭muffler

Your travel plans are spot on from what I know about the area. Tory is a lovely place with its isolation being one of its main features. If you want to get away from it all then it is the place to go.

In saying that there isnt a whole lot to do on the island apart from a bit of walking and taking in the views but its remoteness is its beauty.

The only tip I can give you is if you are planning to take a few drinks and staying till closing time then dont do like I did by going to the bar at 6 in the evening. Wait till late ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39 JosephQ

What closing time if you got the cash the bar stays open

• Registered Users Posts: 29,294 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

or if the bar runs out of drink

:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,163 ✭✭✭✭danniemcq

Well i'm going out with a tory girl so i guess i could help answer your questions. the boat is very weather dependant but if it's a good day they leave magheroarty every day at 11 and half 11 and around 5 again in the evening. if you wanna park your car there is a car park by the pier or Mangans tour buses can leave you at the pier if you get on the bus at letterkenny at half 9. Although this only runs during the week not weekends.

I don't think the ferry will go from bunbeg unless it's bad weather or a blue moon so google magheroarty to find where you are going.

on tory there is a hostel a b and b and a hotel. i would recommend the hostel or b and b unless you are camping as the hotel is rather expensive. If you are camping there is an old building near the club where most people pitch tents as it gives some blocking from the wind.

listen out for corncrakes though if you are going between now and september they are everywhere there (hence the cats all have bells on them now) and you'll also see hundreds of rabbits.

There is no bank link on tory and i'm not sure about cheques being cashed but you might get lucky in the shop ior club. The hotel starts serving around 9 or 10 everyday and closes around 2 and then the club opens around 12 but nobody really goes there till 1 and it stays open till maybe 4 or 5 most nights. MOst weekends now will have ceilis and if you look at the errigal arts festival website you'll see what dates are gonna be extra big in the next while. ummm if you need anything else answered feel free to ask.

ps i'm going out with the kings daughter! just had to put it in there somewhere!

Good post danni.

Am I right in saying that the ferry from Bunbeg is a car/passenger boat while the one from Magheraroarty is passenger only. I thought the Bunbeg ferry connection ran at least every other day if not more frequently in the Summer.

you are right and wrong i just asked the GF and there is a passenger ferry from bunbeg most morings at half 9 and i's an hour or more that way to tory and the boat can be very rolly. if you can i'd advise going to Magheraroarty as the crossing there is 20 - 30 mins on the other boat. but i guess bunbeg is handier if you require accomadation. The car ferry doen't run all the time, few times a year i guess i've been out a few times now and never seen it.

i think the quick boat is 25 euro return to Magheraroarty and when the big boat (Tor mor) goes from Magheraroarty it's 20 euro return. i could be wrong with these prices though but thats roughly what i get charged (well got charged i seem to get islander rates now :))

Oh and as R0ot says make sure you get the right weather as boats will be cancelled if it gets to rough.

Oh and if you are wondering about food there is a cafe there (Kinda expensive but cheaper than dublin :p) and the hotel does food too. And the king will usually play in the hotel most nights especially if there are a lot of tourists in and you might catch hime in the club too.

everything you need is on the west of the island the east is mainly farming and houses well the dolphin thats out there now is mainly found in the old east pier but does usually swim in with the boat so look out for him and the dog that belongs to the hotel too, they go swimming together. It really is a heartwarming sight watching them!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 431 ✭✭donegalman1

Just condering dannie, if you marry the girlfriend will you be in line for the throne, even if its in a prince philip way?

dunno i don't think so she has 2 older sisters and one of them is married already plus she has an older brother.

i could try and kill them off i guess but meh way to much effort!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭Boxman

Lads,

Thanks for all the detailed replies.
    You've given me plenty to go on there.

I'll keep my fingers crossed for good weather!

• Registered Users Posts: 555 ✭✭✭Smartly Dressed

Looks like I'm a little late to the party but here is a link to the Tory Island website.

http://www.oileanthorai.com/

It's not great but you may find something useful on it.

Looks like I'm a little late to the party but here is a link to the Tory Island website.

http://www.oileanthorai.com/

It's not great but you may find something useful on it.
    Good link. Im sure the OP will appreciate it. Cheers.

Advertisement