Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Working in the renewable energy field

Options
  • 01-07-2008 5:20pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 16

Hi,

Not sure if this is in the correct forum or not, but I'm looking for some advice. I've recently left my job as an IT support engineer due to lack of interest/passion for the work. One thing I am passionate about is renewable energy, and I know I'd like to work in the field.

The trouble is, I don't have the first clue about doing so. Can anyone give me some advice on this? Maybe some companies that they know are hiring, what kinds of qualifications they look for, people or organisations to talk to, that kind of thing?

Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks,
    Brian.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,189 ✭✭✭Gekko

Maybe give www.greensearch.ie a call

There are some universities that have engineering courses related to renewable energy...you could look at taking one of those to upskill yourself

That's about all I can think to suggest at the moment

• Registered Users Posts: 2,851 ✭✭✭Glowing

I am in the same boat as you Brian. Rather than leave the industry that pays my bills, I decided to study an OU course in the evenings. The course is 9 months long and will contribute to half a higher diploma ...

The course is excellent - T206: Energy for a sustainable future. It covers all aspects of renewables, plus fossil fuel generation. It has quite a bit of maths, engineering, a bit of finance and economics - very interesting stuff. The workload is maneagable when working fulltime. The assignments are challenging but not overly difficult.

I thought this would be a good route to give me a grounding in the industry before trying to look for jobs, or before doing a full time course. It'll also give me a better idea of which area within renewables would suit me best...

Here's a link to the course details, the next start date is Feb 2009 I think ....

http://www.open.ac.uk/T206/Weblinks/T206links.htm
    http://www3.open.ac.uk/courses/bin/p12.dll?C01T206

Let me know if you have any questions!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 162 ✭✭badolepuddytat

I did the Tipperary institutes course in RE while not working in the industry. Read a good bit to upskill myself.

I now work in the industry and realise that i still need to learn a lot!!

Good courses, good contacts made too.

www.tippinst.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 2,851 ✭✭✭Glowing

I did the Tipperary institutes course in RE while not working in the industry. Read a good bit to upskill myself.

I now work in the industry and realise that i still need to learn a lot!!

Good courses, good contacts made too.

www.tippinst.ie

Hi, do you mind if I ask what you do?

Did you do the advanced Cert, and did you find that was enough to get into the industry. Do you already have an engineering degree or something?

Thanks

PMed.

Engineering degree.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 878 ✭✭✭Bicky

Badolepuddytat and glowing.
    I am in a similar situation in that i would like to study something in the field. Could you give us some more detail on your course and employment prospects after that study.
    Thanks.

The Course in The TI (Tipperary Institute) is a level 6 Advanced certificate in Renewable energy. They have 3 sustainable energy ones, domestic sustainability and Building energy rating.

I am sure there is a much better prospectus on their website, so read that rather than just my memories from 2 years ago!! My memories of it are pretty good. They cover all the basics from a tech point of view for all the mainstream RE technologies that are currently "proven". Wind, AD, Biomass heating, solar (heat & PV). They also cover project financing, project management and policy stuff. They had loads of guest lecturers (like the Bank of Ireland project finance manager talking about project finance!) who were working all the time in the industry so it was really practical.

Prospectus:
    http://www.tippinst.ie/courses/part%20time/Advanced%20Certificate%20in%20Renewable%20Energy.html

There are other providers, but if you live within an hour of Thurles, I would recommend going there, otherwise i think (but i don't know!) there are a few uni's/ IT's doing varying degrees of part time courses.

In my opinion there is some work in the RE industry, but there is absolutely loads on the way for energy efficiency work too. With the costs of energy in reality nearly doubling from 2007 to 2009 (wait to see what ESB does next January), companies and householders will be managing energy very very closely. I find in my job that 80-90% of businesses start with "i think we need some RE to bring down costs", but end up investing in energy management and energy efficiency long before any RE.

B

Advertisement