Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

problem with root canal?

Options
  • 01-07-2008 5:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭

I got a root canal done about 2 months ago, haven't had any major problems, it wasn't sore at all apart from the odd twinge at the beginning. Last weekend I woke up and the edge of the tooth seemed to be a bit sharp, but I wasn't worried about it. Now though the gum seems to be inflamed, and my finger smells awful if I touch it. It's a little bit sore, but nothing compared to the original pain I had in it.

I'll be going back to the dentist in a few days anyway so I'm hoping I'll survive until then, but has anyone had a similar experience?! What's the dentist likely to do?I'm quite worried that after spending so much already I'll have to get more done! :(

Thanks for any advice you might have!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,124 ✭✭✭BryanL

a tooth that needs a root canal is usually a weak tooth, through having lost a lot of bulk from decay,previous restoration and in gaining access to the nerve within the tooth a lot of the tooth has to be removed.
    in some situations you can get by, by just restoring it with a large filling, but the remaining tooth is at higher risk of breaking.
    they don't always break and some can last for years.

your tooth sounds like it has cracked and is letting bacteria into the tooth and under the gum. hopefully there is enough tooth left to place a crown on.

the previous pain you had was infection, this will just be irritation of the gum. it should be okay for a few days but don't let it go either, you'll need to invest in a crown if possible, but then you should enjoy many years of comfortable service from that tooth.
    best of luck,
    Bryan

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭oconnoao

Thanks Bryan, that has me much less worried! Hopefully the dentist will be able to salvage my tooth, the gum wasn't as irritated today either so i should last until my appointment.

Advertisement