Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Geothermal + Solar panels? (me = newbie)

• 01-07-2008 3:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭

Hey,

I've a lovely newbie question for you..

Is it worth/possible using solar panels to run the pump on a geothermal system? Run it off some battery that can be charged with solar (and ESB if low)

I was talking to a guy and he said you wouldnt get enough power to run a light bulb off solar panels..

We're more than likely going to go with geothermal for heating the house.. but we've been recommended to do lots of stuff by lots of people, alot conflicting..

recommendations were:
    • Use solar for hot water alone and geothermal for underfloor heating alone
    • Use geothermal for everything (we were told by an eng. that a 3000ft house would do all heating and water over a year with 750 euro electricity to run the pump
    • Have gas/oil as a backup (whats the point in installing a full 2nd system?)
    • Stay clear of geothermal!

When people talk about solar panels, are they generally talking about solar TUBES that water goes through and gets heated? or do the panels generate electricity to heat water?

If anyone can give their opinions I've be v grateful.. tis all very confussing ugh

/Bal

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭Balmark

Ah I saw another post
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055296730&page=1
    asking the same question, and PVs are just too expensive and useless it seems?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭RKQ

Geothermal is great... very efficient and cheap to run.
    No fuel deliveries, no cleaning, etc.
    You will need a wood burning stove or back up oil burner in deep winter!

Geothermal is best run on night rate electricity. Obviously it comes on during the day to maintain temperatures but this costs more (day rate).

Solar great in summer 45 -50 degrees, not so good in winter. Heat 400l cylinder by 4 degrees, so you need emmersion to up temp to 36 - 38 degrees. (solar does help with keeping cylinder warm during day)

Check out people with systems installed. Sales people will say anything for a sale!:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,546 ✭✭✭✭Poor Uncle Tom

Hi, RKQ, my experiences with solar seem to vary quite a lot to yours. I found the panels very effective in keeping the cylinders up to full temp, leading to dumps even in the spring and autumn. I find, as with using back boilers, when you keep the draws very short, they work more efficiently. If that makes any sense.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭RKQ

Hi Poor Uncle Tom, I've had a problem with my solar panel tubes since the coil burst in my cylinder in january. Very unusual for a coil to burst.

Having lots of chats with supplier and installer, they seem mystified but progress is slow - something must be wrong! (Plumber no. 4 expected next week! Then I'll have to get SEI out to check it)

Last year was excellent water was constant 50 - 58 degrees 400L cylinder. Thats my experience. ( I believe in the technology )

Advertisement