Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Freesat HD

Options
  • 01-07-2008 3:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,323 ✭✭✭

I'm thinking of buying a Freesat HD set up, as in a dish, LNB and box. Anyone know how much the above should cost me if I'm looking for the minimum spec that'll give me HD tv?

Am based in north Dublin and the plan is to avoid putting the dish on the chimney (awkward and ugly) and instead have it on a pole at the end of the back garden. The pole is already there, is about 10 feet high and should have the same line of sight as a similarly placed chimney mounted dish.

I'll run coax (or whatever the wire type is) up the garden and into the house. This will be about 40 - 50 feet of cabling, signal degradation hopefully won't be that bad as I imagine it'll only be a little bit longer than if the dish was on the roof.

Does this sound realistic? And if so anyone have an idea of the money it would cost?

Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,171 ✭✭✭syboit

chabsey wrote: »
    I'm thinking of buying a Freesat HD set up, as in a dish, LNB and box. Anyone know how much the above should cost me if I'm looking for the minimum spec that'll give me HD tv?

Am based in north Dublin and the plan is to avoid putting the dish on the chimney (awkward and ugly) and instead have it on a pole at the end of the back garden. The pole is already there, is about 10 feet high and should have the same line of sight as a similarly placed chimney mounted dish.

I'll run coax (or whatever the wire type is) up the garden and into the house. This will be about 40 - 50 feet of cabling, signal degradation hopefully won't be that bad as I imagine it'll only be a little bit longer than if the dish was on the roof.

Does this sound realistic? And if so anyone have an idea of the money it would cost?

Thanks!

I suppose have a look at freesat.ie or satellite.ie and you can get some prices on all the kit you want. Dish on a high pole could be an issue though, imagine it could sway a lot in the wind.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,323 ✭✭✭chabsey

Good point regarding the swaying. However there's a large tree directly behind the pole, not blocking LOS that might serve to stop/buffer it from the wind.

Advertisement