Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Archaeology Equipment/Supplies Dublin

Options
  • 01-07-2008 1:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,427 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I saw an ad by a new Irish archaeological supplies company in the latest edition of Archaeology Ireland. Unfortunately, I cannot find that issue anymore and was wondering if someone could send me the web-address/homepage of that company? They are based in Dublin.

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,246 ✭✭✭✭Riamfada

www.archgear.com

They are pretty new so their supply is limited but as far as I know if there is something you need send them an email and they will source it for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,427 ✭✭✭Dr Strange

Grimes wrote: »
    www.archgear.com

They are pretty new so their supply is limited but as far as I know if there is something you need send them an email and they will source it for you.

Thanks Grimes, that's the one. ;) I was looking for millimeter scales to be used in photographs of fragments/small bones etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,246 ✭✭✭✭Riamfada

• Registered Users Posts: 3,427 ✭✭✭Dr Strange

Thanks Grimes. I just ordered a whole selection of photographic scales from a crime scene company in the UK though. They had the ones I was looking for (ABFO Scale No. 2). ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 68 ✭✭Hackman

I have to get a WHS pointing trowel for field work but they are expensive. Does anybody here know of another type which is cheaper? The link to the site here is down.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 22 Gnar

you would be better off getting the whs trowel as they are drop forged,i think it means the handle and blade are one piece and they are definitely stronger than an average 5euro trowel you could pick up.It will last a long time and you will save money in the long rung. McQuillains of Capel street in Dublin or oliver Plunkett street in Cork have them for about 25-30e but some small hardware stores in small towns have them cheaper.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 328 ✭✭Fletch123

+1

You can also get the WHS trowels through the bajr.org website (there's a link on there).

It's worth investing in, the cheaper ones break and fall apart at the worst times while the WHS ones are so durable that I've seen some that have been worn down to a nub (people become very attached to their trowels!).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭boneless

I have to say, I have had trouble with the last two WHS trowels I purchased. The blades seem to be thicker than they used to be and had less of an edge to them than my first ones... I am now using a Marshalltown pointing trowel. Similar in price to the WHS but I feel the blade is better edged... handy when you are scraping down a section.

Advertisement