Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

1 year old gas boiler

Options
  • 01-07-2008 12:20pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3

We had a new gas boiler fitted last year while getting an extension done. As we were replacing a 16 year old P*tterton boiler with a new P*tterton boiler I was hoping for better fuel efficiency, but after monitering the bills for the last year I saw absolutely no difference in usage. Checking a couple of links I found on this site, I found out that our new boiler has a D rating :mad:. I'm amazed that the plumming sub-contracter did not bother to check with us before installing this because he checked every other tap/rad/pump with us! We had also told our builders that we wanted to be a eco as possible, but they totally ignored our wishes on this.

Anyway my questions are: is it worth upgrading the boiler to a condensing one at this stage in the hope of lower fuel bills, or should we wait till it needs normal replacing? And if we do this is there any market in nearly new boilers so we might be able to recover something on our existing boiler?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 rizlaod

There is very little resale value on a boilers unless a you are very lucky or find someone who needs your exact model and output,but dont let me put you off its worth a shot. On upgrading your boiler i would advise against it for the simple reason, if your gas bills at the moment are costing you in the region of 900 euro a year, with changing your boiler for an A rated boiler which will cost between 1900 and 2200 euro by a registered gas installer you will only save in the region of 150 to 250 a year depending on how your system is set up ie having trvs and using them, over sized radiators etc. As you can see it would take at the higher saving, 8 to 9 years just to break even. if i were you id wait till it needed to be changed, the life span of new boilers is only 10 to 15 years compared with older models.

Advertisement