Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wild camping

Options
  • 01-07-2008 3:46am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,357 ✭✭✭

hi,
    Looking to go camping for the weekend with my wife, just the two of us but the idea is too leave the car parked somewhere and just go with the tent and maybe a few supplies.

Problem is I cant seem to find any places where you can simple walk into the woods and setup. really dont want to sit in a campsite for the weekend looking at the tent beside me.

Does anyone knwo of anywhere? Or for that matter is it possible to do this through Coilte?

Oh and Im from Dublin so a couple of hours either way would be perfect.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 482 ✭✭irishlostboy

first off, for wild camping, it may be worth looking into our bushcraft club for future contacts/reference etc.
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055315103

regards Coilte, i think they would give permission, so long as you dont light a fire. that is if you wish to ask for permission. i am not advocating illigality, just so you know that.
    regards finding a place, only place i have camped in wicklow is crone valley. was ok. there was a car park. we were only ten minutes off from the car park, but deep enough into the woods to not be disturbed by anything but deer.
    biggist problem you may face is water access. so be sure to bring plenty, and with the recent rainfall, boil anything you harvest.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,468 ✭✭✭Evil Phil

If you are camping out in the wicklow national park it might be a good idea to give you details to either the gaurds or park rangers and tell them where your parking for the night. That way they'll know who the car belongs to and that your okay.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

probably a bit late now, but the further from Dublin, the more likely your car would be safe. around Djouce is dodgy, maybe Glendalough, parking in the hotel if you get a meal before you go and ask, or the national park carpark should be okish but you're not menat to camp in Glendalough valley.

Glenmalure is probably the nicest area, at the top of the waterfall in the Fraughan Rock Glen is probably the nicest camping place I've stayed in Wickow.

then further south again in Aughavanagh there's space for a few cars and a trail up to the south Prison of Glenmalure

I don't know how secure the carpark at the tp of Glenmacnass is but camping at Lough Ouler is pretty nice too, beneath Tonlegee. the lake is shaped like a heart too seein as you are beinging herself. the top of the heart has a few flat spots for a tent i.e. the spur coming down ad like a headland into the lake. stayed there in appalling conditions a few times.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,190 ✭✭✭Andrewf20

around Djouce is dodgy

Last year, I pulled into the car park in Djouce to find a Beemer with its driver window put in. In Roundwood, I came an Aussie traveller who had his bag robbed from his rental car. And a mate of mines GF had her lock bust in similar areas. Its like the Ghetto up there.:(

Advertisement