Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

SKY HD Box only €149

Options
  • 01-07-2008 1:05am
    Registered Users Posts: 397 ✭✭

Does anyone elsehave any info on this, i saw the banner ad on (Dark Roasted Blend) did a screen grab then went looking for details on the clickthrough (SKY IRELAND ) sky website, I couldn't find any info.

Carlos

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,534 ✭✭✭Dman001

Thats probably the new pricing thats coming in from tomorrow. If you subscribe to the HD sub (€15 a month) you get the HD box for €149.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,171 ✭✭✭syboit

yup , new pricing as of July 1st. Though the sky ireland site still says €299 for the HD box.
    Imagine getting stung to pay 299 if you didnt realise it was now only 149!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,336 ✭✭✭Bluehair

Looks like the prices have been updated on the Sky Ireland website here. Hasn't been an attractive enough price up to now but reckon we'll be going for this deal.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,015 ✭✭✭Ludo

I read on another site yesterday that there are numerous HD channels in the planning stages for launch on Sky. IF this is true then I will consider it when they are available but as of now the content is minimal and not worth it still IMHO.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,418 ✭✭✭Jip

I presume if you're already to Sky+ installed you don't need to pay the €50 installation charge ?
    edit: just realised that this is probably only available to new subscribers.

• Advertisement

Jip wrote: »
    I presume if you're already to Sky+ installed you don't need to pay the €50 installation charge ?
    edit: just realised that this is probably only available to new subscribers.

Yes, when you have SKY+ already you still have to pay the installation fee just for someone to plug out your old box and plug in the new one.

If I do upgrade to HD eventually and have to pay an installation fee, I will be insisting that the installer replaces my dish and all cabling to get value for this money as I am not paying anyone €50 to do something I could do myself in one minute.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,327 ✭✭✭✭Tony

Well best of luck but you may get a short answer from the installer :-) Bear in mind the 50 euro contributes towards the travel time and other expenses although having said that I think sky should waive this fee given the ongoing revenue stream they will be getting.

Ludo wrote: »
    If I do upgrade to HD eventually and have to pay an installation fee, I will be insisting that the installer replaces my dish and all cabling to get value for this money as I am not paying anyone €50 to do something I could do myself in one minute.

Desktop PC Boards discount code on https://www.satellite.ie/ is boards.ie

I actually agree Tony...don't think the installer would be to thrilled I guess and in fairness it is not his fault so I shouldn't take it out on him.

At the very least though I would expect the installer to examine the state of the dish and ensure it is not rusting away or anything and examine existing cables for any dodgey stuff which would possibly affect HD quality.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,674 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

About time the box came down to a reasonable price.
    Sky buy in such volume that they pay very little for their receivers.
    Sky+ boxes have been overpriced for years .
    You can get Freeview receivers in the UK for £10 in some stores and FTA satellite receivers are dirt cheap nowadays yet Sky were charging up to €150 for a Sky+ box with a paltry HDD until recently.

Ludo wrote: »
    At the very least though I would expect the installer to examine the state of the dish and ensure it is not rusting away or anything and examine existing cables for any dodgey stuff which would possibly affect HD quality.

In an ideal world this should be the case but these guys are not paid too well so he will plug the box in and if signals are ok he will most likely leave it at that. He may well get paid less than a standard install as sky will assume no extra work is needed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,534 ✭✭✭Dman001

I'm guessing the €49 Sky+ box are for new subscribers? It doesn't say it is in the T&Cs? They really have to make it more clear.

• Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭scart

Tony, any idea when the new Pace HD box will become available?

• Registered Users Posts: 54,034 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

scart wrote: »

why did sky get THOMSOM to do the sky hd boxes

worse mistake ever

pace are the best
    by the way how is sky hd going ????

• Registered Users Posts: 26,558 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

i'd rather pay the old price for the box than have to fork out an extra 15 euro a month.

• Registered Users Posts: 54,034 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

Cremo wrote: »
    i'd rather pay the old price for the box than have to fork out an extra 15 euro a month.

i agree

im suprized they still have the 15 euro extra

Sorry I've heard nothing on this

scart wrote: »

• Registered Users Posts: 4,241 ✭✭✭god's toy

Hell I'd give them €600 right now for a +HD box if it meant no HD sub added on every month!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22 TB1809

Can you keep your old Sky + box when upgrading to HD ?
    I have Sky + and multiroom at the moment and I'm keen to upgrade to Sky HD and would like to transfer my old sky + box to replace the standard multi room box, I know I will lose some sky + features as only have 1 cable feeding that room.

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 4,241 ✭✭✭god's toy

Yep as your old Sky box is yours! Do with as you want.

You just gotta ring SKY to get the sky card paired up to your old Sky + box

• Closed Accounts Posts: 153 ✭✭veronica

Hi
    New offer for Sky Plus only for new customers.
    Sky+: Sky+ box costs €49 for new Sky digital subscribers. Only one discounted Sky+ box per new customer. Additional Sky+ boxes and existing customers charged at the full applicable standard price of €149.

Sky do not appear to like their current customers much as all offers appear to be for new customers!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,093 ✭✭✭Davexirl

Tony, will you be selling the HD box from your website for €149? Just I would like to buy off you again as I bought a Sky+ box of you a few years ago and got it installed and everything went great with the installation.

Thanks

Heres an idea, when the installer arrives tell him you want the sky HD box where the second multi room box is ,then swap the boxes around yourself afterwards.
    TB1809 wrote: »
    Can you keep your old Sky + box when upgrading to HD ?
    I have Sky + and multiroom at the moment and I'm keen to upgrade to Sky HD and would like to transfer my old sky + box to replace the standard multi room box, I know I will lose some sky + features as only have 1 cable feeding that room.

Thanks

Dave thanks for thinking of us but unfortunately I've had to stop doing subsidised sky installs some time ago as we had to pay full price for the equipment and then claim the money back from sky, this took several months and on occasion they lost the paperwork and did not pay at all. I switched to an affiliate program with links directly from my site to try an recoup the lost income.

Sorry I cannot be of more help

Davexirl wrote: »
    Tony, will you be selling the HD box from your website for €149? Just I would like to buy off you again as I bought a Sky+ box of you a few years ago and got it installed and everything went great with the installation.

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 1,192 ✭✭✭norbert64

just a quick question on the quality of HD.

are the flix on the sky HD movie channels just upscaled SD?

as a lot of the old movies surely never existed/weren't recorded in HD, so how can you get them that way.

Movies were not recorded on video film was used so HD does not apply, what you get is the original quality of the movie so depends on what print they are using and the quality of the transfer , obviously newer movies are better quality as technology improved.

norbert64 wrote: »
    just a quick question on the quality of HD.

are the flix on the sky HD movie channels just upscaled SD?

as a lot of the old movies surely never existed/weren't recorded in HD, so how can you get them that way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,174 ✭✭✭mathias

The sky HD movie channels are not upscaled , they are in HD , most of movies shown in HD are very recent , plus you have to keep in mind that film is inherently HD .... as long as the original reel is in good condition a HD transfer can be made from it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,192 ✭✭✭norbert64

mathias wrote: »
    The sky HD movie channels are not upscaled , they are in HD , most of movies shown in HD are very recent , plus you have to keep in mind that film is inherently HD .... as long as the original reel is in good condition a HD transfer can be made from it.
    they showed Batman last nite from 1989, lol.

I see what you're saying though.

I guess I just keep thinking of TPTB sticking a DVD in some industrial player and broadcasting that, lol.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

I have the normal Sky Digital and I'm going to upgrade to HD. My satellite had to be taken down a couple of months ago and all the cables are gone (big refurbishment in the house). If I had to get the installer to put the satellite back up and install new cable would it still be the €49 fee?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,093 ✭✭✭Davexirl

Tony wrote: »
    Dave thanks for thinking of us but unfortunately I've had to stop doing subsidised sky installs some time ago as we had to pay full price for the equipment and then claim the money back from sky, this took several months and on occasion they lost the paperwork and did not pay at all. I switched to an affiliate program with links directly from my site to try an recoup the lost income.

Sorry I cannot be of more help

Ahh sorry to hear that Tony, would loved to have bought from your website again.

• Advertisement

Thanks for the kind words
    Davexirl wrote: »
    Ahh sorry to hear that Tony, would loved to haved bought from your website again.

Advertisement