Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

mindfullness

Options
  • 30-06-2008 10:58pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2

hi i am intersted thr pratice of mindfullness . i have read some thich nhat hanh books and have found them helpful , does any one here know any thing about mindfullness ireland?. i would like to know more about buddhist schools in ireland ,i think as we here in the west know so little about buddhism it is best to check them out before hand. there some weird strang orginsations out there

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,555 ✭✭✭DublinWriter

I really love some of Jack Kornfield's books and work on mindfulness. If you can, try and get some of his audiobooks - his voice just radiates compassion and understanding in a way that transcends the printed word.

I also love a lot of Sogyal Rinpoche's teachings on mindfulness and compassion too - check out the Dzogchen Beara Retreat Centre in Cork.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,621 ✭✭✭yomchi

I really love some of Jack Kornfield's books and work on mindfulness. If you can, try and get some of his audiobooks - his voice just radiates compassion and understanding in a way that transcends the printed word.

I also love a lot of Sogyal Rinpoche's teachings on mindfulness and compassion too - check out the Dzogchen Beara Retreat Centre in Cork.

Sogyal Rinpoche is there this month as far as I remember.

OP there are many different Buddhist schools in Ireland. Most of them stem from Tibetan traditions, but not all.
    Mindfulness is gained through meditation and being aware of thought and the work of the mind. A simple meditation to begin with for helping develop midfulness would be 'mindfulness of breath' which is just being aware of the breath, it's actually harder than it sounds, even me being silly says it's a simple way :o
    I did a few classes some years ago at this place www.dublinbuddhistcentre.org they did some mindfulness of breathing meditating and I found it a good introduction to the idea of mindfulness.

A friend of mine attneds the Zen dojo in Mountjoy Square in Dublin, every now and then they perform the 'tea ceremony' it's meant to be an amazing experience of mindfulness - when drinking tea...drink tea!
    :)

Advertisement