Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

HELP - DOG WON'T USE KENNEL

Options
  • 30-06-2008 10:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭

My dog is approaching the 2 years old mark, he's a house dog, but is left out during the sunny days, and decided to get a kennel for him a few weeks ago so he has shelter if it rains. Well there could be torrential flood or a tsunami and he won't go inside, he'd rather stand in the rain and wind, shivering and getting soaked, rather than shelter in it. I've fed him in it, and he'll now eat in it, but won't go in for any other reason. What can i do? he's a jack russell

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 727 ✭✭✭shinners007

have you tried putting a nice soft comfy bed in it and some toys that he can chew on while he relax's, might make the kennel more inviting and interesting for him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭az2wp0sye65487

Had the same worry myself... have 2 yorkies - both house dogs, and only recently got a kennel for them for during the day when we're out. (They were previously left in the house). Well, when they know we're in the house they won't use it, and will just sit at the back door waiting to be let in.

But I did manage to sneak back into the house a couple of times and peak out the window.... they sleep in the kennel almost all day from what I can see.

Maybe your dog knows you're still in the house and is waiting to be let in. if you try to get it into the habit of going outside when everyone is going out it might get used to being outside and use the kennel... Put the dog's favourite toy in the kennel & its bed etc...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,366 ✭✭✭luckat

Ghost Girl, this isn't really a MAJOR EMERGENCY WORTH BIG CAPS!

Powerhose out the kennel; it may smell of things the dogs don't like.

Put in new bedding.

Turn it a different way - it may be draughty.

Ghost Girl wrote: »
    Well there could be torrential flood or a tsunami and he won't go inside, he'd rather stand in the rain and wind, shivering and getting soaked, rather than shelter in it.
    luckat wrote: »
    Turn it a different way - it may be draughty.

I doubt a draught is bothering a dog that will stand outside in rain and wind......:D

• Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭Ghost Girl

Thank you all, but no seriously, ive done the comfy bed thing, ive done the treats and toys thing, ive moved it around etc. I left him out one morning, came home from work and the dog was standing in the rain shivering all day, he had a hump on his back, i brought him in and he seemed traumatised. Im deadly serious, if any one saw him id be reported to ispca. I thought if the weather got bad enough he'd use it. Im some one who was reared with animals, always had dogs, puppys cats kittens etc, and this has baffled me. I've come across it before, but when the weather got bad enough, and the dog had not choice he'd shelter in it. But not with this little brat!!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10 edelgkgeraghty

Try bringing the kennel inside and maybe he will use it then... altho that would defeat the purpose of putting him outside? He is two years old.... maybe he knows how best to wrap you around his paw.

However maybe he is traumatised by the kennel. Try putting him in councelling or group therapy. He may have some abandonment issues either. For two years your house was his kennel and now you have downsized him to one in the garden!!

Hello every one - major break through yesterday - dog went into kennell!! He walked in while i was working in the garden, and had a good sniff around and walked back out. Is this a good sign - i think so!!

Still won't shelter in it from the bad weather (our so called summer!!) but hey i think this could be the beginning.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 217 ✭✭mary123

Hi Steviecakes is it wise to leave ur 2 yorkies outside when ur out? I know there is no way that i would leave any of my dogs out as i would be afraid that they would be stolen. Especially as yorkie are one of the "IN" dogs at the moment.

mary123 wrote: »
    Hi Steviecakes is it wise to leave ur 2 yorkies outside when ur out? I know there is no way that i would leave any of my dogs out as i would be afraid that they would be stolen. Especially as yorkie are one of the "IN" dogs at the moment.

Appreciate the concern Mary, but they're fine. secure garden, no access without coming directly through the house

• Registered Users Posts: 5,273 ✭✭✭racso1975

I have the same problem with my Mastiff. The kennel is in a secured pen area and when pen is locked she will go into kennel at nighttime but if pen is unlocked during day she will not get into it even if it is lashing rain and the other night i put her food into the kennel yet she still insisted on sleeping at the back door in the lashings of rain???

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭spurscormac

I have a problem with my fella if I don't have bedding in the kennel.

For instance, yesterday I got up and left him outside before I went to work.
    The rain had got in the previous night & his bedding was soaking near the door and had spread to most of it.

So I took it out, put it on the line to dry, and headed off to work.
    My girlfriend got up a while later, it had started raining, but instead of going into the kennel, he stood there in the rain getting soaked.
    She brought him in and dried him off. Once the rain stopped, the bedding dried out & once we put it back in the kennel, in he went.

So my advice would be to get some sort of comfy bedding, get them used to it - inside if necessary so it will have his smell, put it inside and hopefully they'll follow it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,273 ✭✭✭racso1975

Nope my fool of a dog constantly since day one has pulled bedding out of the kennel and gotten back in so long as the pen is closed if open will pull bedding onto the lawn and then shred it into millions of pieces......it is often true what they say about large dogs being slightly simple:D

• Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭hyn-zie

My dog is approaching the 2 years old mark, he's a house dog, but is left out during the sunny days, and decided to get a kennel for him a few weeks ago so he has shelter if it rains. Well there could be torrential flood or a tsunami and he won't go inside, he'd rather stand in the rain and wind, shivering and getting soaked, rather than shelter in it. I've fed him in it, and he'll now eat in it, but won't go in for any other reason. What can i do? he's a jack russell

My dog wouldn't go in side the kennel until i i gave her a piece of carpet she like's and left it with her for a while then it had her smell then put it in the kennell with some treats and she was sorted, once they get there nice safe smell and find food they'll relax!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 83 ✭✭Caroline B

OMG they are DOGS. If they want to stay dry they will. If they don't, don't sweat it. no-one from the SPCA will come take your dogs because you can't persuade them to use the kennel. Are you for real??

Caroline B wrote: »
    OMG they are DOGS. If they want to stay dry they will. If they don't, don't sweat it. no-one from the SPCA will come take your dogs because you can't persuade them to use the kennel. Are you for real??
    Ah the poor little doggies dont know whats best for them sometimes!! Well ive a bigger concern about the whole thing because there's a baby coming along soon, and dog may become jealous, so i want dog to be used to having a bed outside in case he gets the boot outside for good!! as much as i love him, if he becomes a threat to my future baby, i know where my priorities will be!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 83 ✭✭Caroline B

well as i said don't worry. in fact to know their place, especially with a baby coming, will be a good thing. you've given them a roof to shelter, they will use it, eventually. i have 3 rescue dogs and one of them refused to use the kennel (we have ours in the garden all day while we are at work). after a good few rainy days even she was able to work out that dry is more comfortable!!
    i'd leave a cheap fleece blanket in there (easy to wash) and make sure it is out of direct draughts etc. then leave them out all day for a week, letting them sleep inside at night. be strict. as long as you are exercising & disciplining them, you should be grand with any baby related issues.

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭redroisin

Hello every one - major break through yesterday - dog went into kennell!! He walked in while i was working in the garden, and had a good sniff around and walked back out. Is this a good sign - i think so!!

Still won't shelter in it from the bad weather (our so called summer!!) but hey i think this could be the beginning.....

Of course he was happy to "check it out" it when you were with him, BECAUSE you were with him!! If he is a house dog, why havent you got him a dog crate to go into while you are out? The poor thing is confused about why you have rejected him from his family and home and it is traumatising for him standing shivering in the rain, waiting for you to come back and "forgive" him for whatever it was you isolated him from you in the first place! Please remember too, theives will go to a lot of trouble to steal a dog and no breed is safe so dont leave your dogs out loose when you`re not their in the day time. As far as jealousy of the baby goes, if you make a point of letting your dog "meet" and sniff the baby and praise him whenever he is around the baby, you wont have a problem. Of course dont take things for granted and be there to supervise until the baby is a little older. The crate is great for that to cos when you need the dog "out of the way" he can go into his "safe place" and sleep! :D

Racso, your mastiff knows the difference between the pen being locked and not being locked...because the unlocked signals your presence, He/she wont go into the kennel and chance missing out on a precious chance to be with you.

not every thing goes according to plan when pregnant, but evenrually towards the end of summer dog copped that the sun shone at a certain time of the day directly in the door of his kennell, so he had a bit pillow in it whihc was blasted with this sun every day so he'd lie in it during that time, lapping up the sun. So now he;s familiar with the kennell, hides things in it. likes the comfort, once its not a minus 6 freezing day.

He has become a defender of the new baby, no worries there. Hes very protective. We didnt change his routine after her arrival, we treated him the same, and his routine of being out the back with the kennell during the day didnt chance. He loved the winter evenings by the fire watching us all from his corner on the matt, and any interuption from a neighbour, or sales person at the door, dog would be making his mark and showing his authority while at the same time running back to baby to sit in front of her in a protective manner. alls well now. thanks for all feedback

• Closed Accounts Posts: 92 ✭✭woofie87

This is great news. I have two rescues and am nearly 8 months pregnant, sick worried how things are gonna be when the baby arrives- will they be jelaous, feel abandoned, a threat to the baby????? But seeing your post makes me feel a bit better. If things worked out for you, maybe they ll be ok for us too? Thanks for the update

• Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

We hope to have a new puppy come the summer, I will be chucking my child and husband out into a tent. I think I might have to teach them to use the BBQ so they can keep themselves warm.

• Advertisement
Advertisement