Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PS3/5.1/HDMI/Headache...

Options
  • 30-06-2008 10:17pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 432 ✭✭

Hi

I have my PS3 hooked into my Philips HDTV via HDMI.

I intend to purchase the Philips HTS6510 Home Cinema System.

It has a HDMI Out, but the manual mentions something along the lines of..."If you don't intend to use the HDMI connection to the TV, you will need to connect the digital coaxial/analog phono cables to hear the TV's sound."

I take it that means that if I DO use the HDMI connection, it WILL carry the TV's sound...?

Also, the HTS6510 processes Dolby Digital and dts surround sounds. So, if I keep the PS3 hooked into HDMI1 of the TV, and hook the HTS6510 into HDMI2, does this allow the 5.1 surround sound track to feed through to the system?

It handles Pro-Logic II, also it's 2.1, but it's designed specifically to handle digital sound formats, so I'd love to hear Blu-Ray come out of it digitally rather than analog-ally (not a word I know:))

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, RicherSounds.ie Moderator Posts: 2,505 Mod ✭✭✭✭The Ritz

I think the most straightforward way to get the result you want is:

PS3 -> Tv............................ use HDMI

PS3 -> Sound system..............use Optical

Tv gets classy picture, sound system will decode Dolby/DTS, all good.

Unless the sound system can decode the new HD Dolby format (I don't think it can.......) then there's no good reason to connect to the sound system using HDMI.

Perhaps some others with similar setups can help - my PS3 is in my home cinema with a rake of other sources through a switch to a projector so my set up is somewhat different.

Ritz.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 432 ✭✭IamBeowulf

Thanks Ritz...

See I would connect the sound optically, if the Philips sound system had optical in. Unfortunately it only has coaxial (a common issue with Philips systems, they seem to prefer the coaxial). That's why I'm hoping the two HDMIs on the telly will piggyback the 5.1 signals through from the PS3 to the system.

Other than that, is there a cheap and cheerful way of converting coaxial to optical? I remember reading something about it costing alot of money to do it...d'oh!

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, RicherSounds.ie Moderator Posts: 2,505 Mod ✭✭✭✭The Ritz

Oh dear, no cheap way afaik, hope someone else can drop into this with a suggested solution.

Ritz

• Registered Users Posts: 8,223 ✭✭✭ongarite

The only suggestion is to find a coaxial to fibre connector and get sound that way.
    Your sound system is HDMI out only, you would need HDMI in to get sound using HDMI.

• Registered Users Posts: 30 sodslaw

i am having this same problem and the way i think to sort it is the converter you can get, type in "converting optical digital to coaxil digital" in google and you will see that theres an adapter by nikkai, it only costs 8.99 pounds so its quite cheap, if you have one already or found another way let me know.
    if not then good luck this way
    steve

• Advertisement
Advertisement