Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

how big of a pack for a days hiking

Options
  • 30-06-2008 7:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 669 ✭✭✭

i just bought this 25L pack for day hiking.

http://www.outdoorgb.com/p/deuter_act_trail_24_ltr_hiking_backpack/

i brought it home and i can fit my big jacket into it ( when walking on warm days as i wont be wearing it), my camera and room for a bit of food and other small bits, but after that not much else will go in. should i bring it back for a 30L backpack, or is that overkill for day hiking?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,560 ✭✭✭Prenderb

I use a 25l myself, but have a mac-in-a-sac type of rainjacket - maybe that means I have enough space? I also bring 2 water bottles, small first aid kit, couple of sandwiches and usually another layer of the light jumper type. Map and compass and little bits like that go in the front packet. Day hiking for me is typically 4-6 hours though.

• Registered Users Posts: 669 ✭✭✭fguihen

yea, when i say jacket its a waterproof outer shell with a moderately heavy inner lining. i guess id be wearing one or both items most of the time. so with that big jacket, my camera, a litre of water and a bite to eat, the bag will be full. sounds like it may be big enough tough. il play around with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,444 ✭✭✭✭Alun

I have a 25l rucksack too, and find it just about big enough, depending on the time of the year and the weather (i.e. what clothing I have on as opposed to what's in the rucksack). Mind you it does have side pockets which seem to have gone out of fashion for the smaller rucksacks these days, and I don't know if they're included in the 25l or not. If I was to get a new one, I think I'd probably go for something ever so slightly bigger, say 30-35l. Also, a lot of it is developing a packing strategy, something that comes with time especially if you're out every week like myself.

decided im gona bring it back for a 30L backpack. 24L is only just enough, and i want a little extra space.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,404 ✭✭✭dogmatix

25L to 30L is sufficent for a days hiking, even in winter. If you are doing an overnight then a 35L+ should be considered. I have a Deuter 28L which fulfills all my day hiking needs.

I use a Lowe 35L for bigger jobs and an ancient Jack Wolfskin 60L for trekking holidays.

• Advertisement

actually, in winter the 25L would be fine, its in warm weather, when i have my jacket in the backpack that all the space is taken up.

Advertisement