Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Subletting - dangers and guides ?

Options
  • 30-06-2008 6:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,535 ✭✭✭

If I give an agreement to someone (agent doesn’t know) which states 30 day break clause either the renter or me. Am I potentially stepping now a mine field?

Hope to rent a 2 bed apt and cover one room myself and sub the other when necessary with fair rent.

But just wondering if things went pear shaped how would I stand. e.g Sub moves in dog and three friends or generally takes the piss and refuses to go?

Should I just go straight and get the other person to sign the lease with the agent? Or not bother the agent. (I intend to collect the rent on behalf of agent)

Place not secured yet.

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,278 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

You cannot legally sublet without the permission of the landlord.
    As you have no legal right to do so- yes, you would be stepping on a minefield- the first step of which for the landlord would be to immediately terminate your lease- and initiate eviction proceedings against you.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,535 ✭✭✭worded

smccarrick wrote: »
    As you have no legal right to do so- yes, you would be stepping on a minefield- the first step of which for the landlord would be to immediately terminate your lease- and initiate eviction proceedings against you.

Ive been doing it for years (landlord was aware) as he didnt want to know about every person who arrived / left, all up to me. Also if they were unsuitable I could give them 30 days notice (happened once in 10 years)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,535 ✭✭✭worded

smccarrick wrote: »

OK, so if I get permission I can legally do it?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,808 ✭✭✭Ste.phen

Probably, but remember you'd be liable for 100% of the overall rent if a subletter didn't pay up, or if you had trouble replacing one.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,773 ✭✭✭antoinolachtnai

They probably aren't a tenant. They're probably a licensee. They have much fewer rights than a tenant.

Broad guidance: http://citizensinformation.ie/News/know-your-rights/know-your-rights-2007/renting-a-room-in-your-home/?searchterm=deposits

• Advertisement
Advertisement