Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dial-up still popular in Ireland

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,383 ✭✭✭JohnC.

A lot of people may use it, but I'm not sure it is popular;)

No surprise with the payphones but I'd never have guessed VOIP was that big in those Eastern European countries!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭thebman

Its really 38-39% once you include the mobile users with no alternative :(

--edit---adding link to other article on this
    http://www.herald.ie/national-news/we-dont-use-landlines-or-phoneboxes-anymore-1423398.html

• Registered Users Posts: 985 ✭✭✭Fogmatic

Popular? I don't think so. The word's misused in the article, as with many statistics (they might as well say that living below the poverty line is getting more, or less, popular).
    I should think dialup is deeply unpopular with the majority of its users.

It certainly is with me! I only started keeping an eye on my connection speed a few months ago, and it was then 12kbps. Then it went down to 9.6, and it's currently 7.2. Apart from the watching paint dry aspect, it's constantly timing out, and being cut off by the noisy phone line (to those who've been outlining how to complain to Eircom; yes, I'm going to).

I've just ordered broadband from a firm (Fastcom) transmitting from masts, which is the only way I can get BB, and only recently reached line of sight to my place. I can't wait!

Advertisement