Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

gaa.ie = Poor Website

Options
  • 30-06-2008 3:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,006 ✭✭✭

ok, just went onto the GAA website to double check some of the hurling qualifier fixtures and dates - and couldn't find them anywhere!! Either I'm dumb and don't know how to use the interweb, or they have THE worst, hopelessly structured and impossible to navigate website. Am I missing something obvious here???

Sorry - rant over...

Eventually found them - http://www.hurlingchampionship.gaa.ie/fixtures/?month=July

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,133 ✭✭✭Stevecw

Have to agree. That gaa.ie site is always slow to update. Well behind other gaa sites when it comes to putting up reports, news fixtures etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 253 ✭✭Marse

Agree, below par.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

It is a waste of time.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,252 ✭✭✭deisedevil

Been saying the same myself with ages. They could do with keeping up with the times. It's not like they don't have the money to get someone to create a new site and keep it updated.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,127 ✭✭✭✭kerry4sam

I have found that Individual County websites are more up-to-date and informative than the National GAA website alright

< plug :)www.kerrygaa.ie >

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 41 nadasky08

Said it here on this site before....its just so sh**e! They advertise the gaa.ie site all around Croke Park....better off spending that money on getting some decent content and uptodate results on the site!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,178 ✭✭✭kevmy

kerry4sam wrote: »
    I have found that Individual County websites are more up-to-date and informative than the National GAA website alright

< plug :)www.kerrygaa.ie >

Not Mayo's

http://www.mayogaa.com/

it's being 'updated' for about 18 months

• Registered Users Posts: 17,727 ✭✭✭✭Sherifu

http://www.galwaygaa.ie/

Seems ok, the GAA need to get some designers in.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭Green Giant

You'd be more likely to find a €500 note on the ground than easy to access and up-to-date GAA info online.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,780 ✭✭✭✭listermint

did someone say 500 note on the ground! , where ?:D:D

probably down in carlow! maybe those lads can buy the GAA some web designers!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 617 ✭✭✭Dapos

ya they added a video section last year and added feck all to it. they should really have all videos from tv3 and rte, gaa related

• Closed Accounts Posts: 718 ✭✭✭thirdmantackle

thats unfair

some counties have very up to date websites

Galway
    Westmeath
    Roscommon

all have websites where results are posted up once the referee texts in the result after the game.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,133 ✭✭✭Stevecw

listermint wrote: »
    did someone say 500 note on the ground! , where ?:D:D

probably down in carlow! maybe those lads can buy the GAA some web designers!

Ha no chance of us having good web designers here either by the look of our "official" county site http://www.carlowgaa.ie/
    They have our next fixture as the Meath game back in mid-May!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,391 ✭✭✭One Cold Hand

Just getting into the Aussie Rules here in Oz, and their website http://www.afl.com.au/ is really good. Interesting comparison. It contains news (regularly update too!), video highlights, interviews.
    But the best bit is during the games, the have live score updates for each game as they happen, as well as substitutions, stats etc. being updated. It's really good if your stuck in work during a game.

Anyway, would be a good milestone for the GAA to aim for. The website has been terrible for years. I know that the AFL are a professional body, and the GAA aren't, but they do have tonnes of money floating around. It's painful that there's just a random guy in the office who updates it whenever he gets a chance, as opposed to it being properly run.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 718 ✭✭✭thirdmantackle

video highlights would be good

wonder do the GAA own their own rights to put them on their website?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,127 ✭✭✭✭kerry4sam

kevmy wrote: »
    Not Mayo's

http://www.mayogaa.com/

it's being 'updated' for about 18 months

Ah in fairness they did list the team that played in the Connacht semi-final ... The National Website should focus in on more grassroots work and highlight some achievements of local GAA clubs throughout the country

• Registered Users Posts: 345 ✭✭cavanmaniac

The GAA obviously only spend buttons on their website. You get what you pay for.

When it comes to money, the GAA only know how to put their hands out to supporters and sponsors, not in their pockets for things like a decent website which in this day and age is a pretty basic requirement. They could sink a hundred grand into that website, get a great job done and have done with it for once and for all, it's not as if they're strapped for cash or not doing eough yapping about proper marketing and all that stuff.

I heard ages ago that the site was actually provided by some company from New Zealand or something, it's just a basic platform you can load all your material into, that's why it looks so basic and is as slow as a three-legged dog.

I thought it was worth bringing this zombie back to life. I was a massive critic of the GAA's website for years and thought it was a huge missed opportunity, but it seems like they took some of the complaints on board because I really like what they have done with GAA.ie over the last year or two.

All the old problems seem to have been dealt with, it's much faster and there are plenty of decent interviews, reports and videos on it now. You won't hear me say it too often, but fair play to the GAA for finally getting their act together.

Oh, and I meant to add that Donal Og Cusack's column from last week was the best bit of GAA writing I've come across in some time. And I'm not just saying that because I'm from Cork.

http://www.gaa.ie/gaa-news-and-videos/daily-news/1/1007130849-on-the-line-donal-og-cusack-on-hurling/

• Registered Users Posts: 2,534 ✭✭✭Radharc na Sleibhte

Agree dancinpants.
    It could be SO much better but at least the thing is functional.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

I've editted the title to get rid of the capitals and the swear word (even with **).

Advertisement