Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

No. of days of cloudy sky in Ireland

Options
  • 30-06-2008 2:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 736 ✭✭✭

Would I be right in guessing that the number of cloudy days in Ireland is around 360 or more ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 736 ✭✭✭Big Tone

I would guesstimate 362 !

• Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

Hmmm, I wonder how many "clear blue sky" days we get?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,720 ✭✭✭Hal1

I was wondering when someone was gonna reply to this :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Its got to be around 280-300 if cloudy is defined as more than 50% cover throughout the day.

Mike.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

Where's MR DATA - Mothman? :D I'm pretty sure he has an answer!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7 Dshell

The ways its going at the mo it'll be 365!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

366 this year! :pac:

Mike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,150 ✭✭✭Deep Easterly

Ye're all living in the wrong place folks, move to Galway, sunshine capital of Ireland. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,544 ✭✭✭redspider

One simple way to measure cloudiness perhaps is to use sunshine hours. Its hard to believe, but the average no. of sushine hours in June is approx 160 hrs in the month (or 5.2 hrs per day). If the average hours are worked out for every month, and day lengths are taken into consideration, it is possible to calculate the equivalent amount of sunshine days and cloudy days each year.

Rain
    By the way, are there any measurements taken (or even a device) which measures the amount of time it has been raining? This information is much more useful to people in their everyday lives in comparison to the heavily used and over-simplified measurement of amounts often expressed in mm, which gets 'exaggerated' when there are cloudbursts, etc, and is a localised chaotic phenomenon in comparison to pressure or temperature, for example.

Redspider

Advertisement