Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Freesat or Sky HD (without HD sub)

Options
  • 30-06-2008 1:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 434 ✭✭

Would it be better to get a Freesat box or a Sky HD box (without HD sub). I believe one can get BBC HD on both but not ITV. Besides not having the ITV bit what other advantages is there to having a freesat box bar the fact that it is a way cheaper.

On the sky side I would have the ability to record.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,171 ✭✭✭syboit

mburke wrote: »
    Would it be better to get a Freesat box or a Sky HD box (without HD sub). I believe one can get BBC HD on both but not ITV. Besides not having the ITV bit what other advantages is there to having a freesat box bar the fact that it is a way cheaper.

On the sky side I would have the ability to record.

Probably go with the freesat, or possibly wait for the freesat pvr's. You'll get all the same fta channels on a freesat box, plus itvhd (not currently available to skyhd). Plus with the freesat you'll get a 7day epg where a lot of "extra" channels you tune in with a sky box you dont get the epg.
    You cant record using a sky box if you dont have a valid sky sub.

• Registered Users Posts: 434 ✭✭mburke

I thought that if you get a sky HD box from Ebay that you could register your sky card with sky to get the recording facility (sky +) and also choose not to sign up to Sky HD.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,171 ✭✭✭syboit

mburke wrote: »
    I thought that if you get a sky HD box from Ebay that you could register your sky card with sky to get the recording facility (sky +) and also choose not to sign up to Sky HD.

sorry, yes you can do this. just say have the sky+ , without the HD part. You'll have to ring them to get your existing card paired with the new box.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

You wont be able to record BBC HD with a Sky HD box on an Irish Sky subscription.

Advertisement