Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

keeping your camera dry when hiking.

Options
  • 30-06-2008 12:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 669 ✭✭✭

im starting hiking and want to bring the camera (400D , and 2 sigma lens's ) along. I dont want a dedicated camera bag as i need to carry hiking gear also. what backpack or method of keeping the camera dry would you recommend in this suituation??

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 482 ✭✭irishlostboy

personally i use a totally waterproof and shock proof camera. you can pick up a nice one in argos. this way i can really abuse it. but what you are probably talking about is a SLR type camera, yea?
    you could try a small dry bag. just find a way to clip the dry bag in front of you, so you dont have to go through the hassle of taking your pack off, etc etc, just to get a shot. or maybe try both options? something waterproof and shockproof in a pocket for when you need to make a quick capture, and a larger camera for the more fancy stuff?

• Registered Users Posts: 669 ✭✭✭fguihen

went for a new backpack with a waterproof tarp, and one of these:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=220224762712&indexURL=

thanks for the advice folks

• Registered Users Posts: 1,105 ✭✭✭larryone

Exped bags are great, but not very durable. Tougher versions of the same exist, but they add more bulk and weight.
    I know some guys who do some cave photography, and generally peli cases are used.
    They're tough as nails and waterproof, but bulky as bejaysis.

• Registered Users Posts: 669 ✭✭✭fguihen

yea, i saw that mentioned elsewhere on the web. i am looking for something light and waterproof. im not cave diving anything, just walking up mountains n stuff, so the waterproof bag, inside a decent backpack, with a waterproof tarp should be fine for the time being. thanks for the input though.

Advertisement