Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Do I need a new fan belt?

Options
  • 30-06-2008 11:40am
    Registered Users Posts: 344 ✭✭

Hello all,

Just wondering if you could help me out. I think I may need a new fan belt. I drive a 01 renault megane with 75,000 miles on the clock. Ye maybe able to help me out i know nothing about cars when i am driving my car here is what happens

- if i drive at 120km the engine sounds very loud
    - when i am in traffic the rev counter goes up and down and the car almost shakes
    - if i take off from traffic lights the power seemd to go and i have to floor it to get the power back in the engine.

My mate told me it i might need a new fan belt...is he right and are they expensive to fit?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

I'm not sure how a fan belt could cause the revs to be erractic in traffic or cause and of the other symptoms?

it could be the idle control valve blocked up with dirt causing the erractic revs, when your taking off do the revs go up but you have no power?

• Registered Users Posts: 344 ✭✭greenplain

yea i press down on the accelerator and the revs do go up just no power. it takes a few seconds for the power to make an impact on the car and the acceleration in the car is slow.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

greenplain wrote: »
    yea i press down on the accelerator and the revs do go up just no power. it takes a few seconds for the power to make an impact on the car and the acceleration in the car is slow.

this could also be a slipping clutch

could be a clutch problem either if the car is reving up but its not "catching" and pullling the car.

Did you ever get a burning smell in the car like a burnt out clutch?

check your plug leads to make sure there not damaged and that they are connected properly too this was the problem with my girlfriends and she had similiar revving problems

no i dont get a smell of burning from the car. so i'll have a look at the plugs could you please tell me how i can check them out?

• Advertisement

if it was the clutch is that expensive to replace?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

No offence OP, but I think your best course of action is to present your car to a mechanic, or at least a friend who knows something about cars.

Any hints you'll get from here won't be much use if you don't know what you're looking at.

none taken, I know i'll have to get the car booked in for someone to have a look at it, any chance if ye know of a good mechanic in the south side of dublin?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,837 ✭✭✭S.I.R

greenplain wrote: »
    none taken, I know i'll have to get the car booked in for someone to have a look at it, any chance if ye know of a good mechanic in the south side of dublin?

ill have a look, i do a fair bit of car fixing on the side and im on the south side of dublin.... free on saturday if you can wait that long ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,560 ✭✭✭Blue850

Renault Megane running rough? I'd hazard a guess that a coil pack is gone and its only running on 3 cylinders, there known for it, theres probably a bazillion threads about them on here.

• Advertisement

thanks lads for all your input. S.I.R i can wait until Saturday if you pass me on your contact details i can give you a bell and you might be able to sort me out

Blue850 wrote: »
    Renault Megane running rough? I'd hazard a guess that a coil pack is gone and its only running on 3 cylinders, there known for it, theres probably a bazillion threads about them on here.

yeh my focus had the same problem, if its jumpy taking off from lights etc but smoothes out as the revs go up it could be the coil pack but it doesn't explain the high revs when idle

i have changed the coil twice in the last 12 months....could be gone again!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 93 ✭✭D500B

Hi,

I have a Renault megane 01 1.4 which has just started having very similar symptoms. Basically seems to shake a lot at lights as if it has a slower idle engine speed than normal. Also the power on acceleration seems to be worse. (This has also led to it being more likely to cut out in reverse around car parks unless it is given a bit extra revs than normal)
    Does this sound like clutch catching? In which case does anyone know the price of replacing it? It’s my first car so I don't know too much about this stuff.
    Are there any other things that could be causing it(air intake valve clogged or something like that and are they expensive) the main reason I ask is that I kind just want to know what sort of cost I would be looking at to get it fixed - especially worst case scenario stuff and advice on how to get it seen to cheaply.
    If anyone has any ideas it would be great.
    PS if the OP reads this what did yours turn out to be?

• Registered Users Posts: 73,397 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

read the whole thread. the answers are all in here!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 93 ✭✭D500B

colm_mcm wrote: »
    read the whole thread. the answers are all in here!
    thanks colm but I don't see any answers about estimated cost of replacing a clutch on a megane or any costs at all!

Advertisement