Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

computers for uganda

Options
  • 30-06-2008 11:31am
    Registered Users Posts: 538 ✭✭✭

Hi Guys,

Im looking for some advice/help/instruction. My aunt works closely with schools in uganda, and I have volunteered to help out and get some computers together and send them over and then go over and train up teachers on how to use the computers and the applications so they can then in turn pass that onto students.

Ill be out there for 3 months myself next year is the plan.

I will need to get companies to donate money/computers. Has anyone done anything like this before?

I looked into the OLPC crowd has anyone had any dealings with these is it a viable option?

I was thinking maybe 20 computers if i can get that together. Ive worked in IT myself for years and have been involved in training the last few.

So if anyone can give me any information i would greatly appreciate it. If you have any questions shout..

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,731 ✭✭✭DadaKopf

www.camara.ie

You're better off hooking up with these guys. They already have the operation, they're nice folks, and there are many technical, practical and moral issues to work out doing something like this that it's best to link with an org for a short-term/one-off project.

It's also worth talking to people in Comhlámh about volunteering generally - www.volunteeringoptions.org .

• Registered Users Posts: 538 ✭✭✭mjquinno

Brilliant! Thanks for the info ill give these guys a ring and see what comes of it...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26 poh

I would second that suggestion from DadaKopf.
    Camara are a great organisation.
    I went to Ethiopia with them last year for 5 weeks.
    Uganda is one of the countries that they have computers in and a group have just gone out to teach.

• Registered Users Posts: 538 ✭✭✭mjquinno

just a quick note to say thanks guys.
    both meself and the gf have joined camara and we go on thurday nights. hopefully will be heading out next year.

Anyways big help thanks again.
    Mike

Advertisement