Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lockdown Software?

Options
  • 30-06-2008 9:54am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,205 ✭✭✭

Hi all

I need to lockdown i.e. remove access to usb ports / cd burners / printers, on some workstations in work.

Basically we want people just to be able to view a database on the screen, but not to print or download any part of it.

What is a good program or method to manage access to usb ports / cd burners etc?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 852 ✭✭✭blackgold>>

A dumb terminal would be ideal.

• Registered Users Posts: 82,145 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Hey you can just disable the devices in the Control Panel> Device Manager.

Tried it just there on Vista and while I can still open/close the CD drive its no longer being read by My Computer and inserting discs does little of nothing. All you have to do is ensure the user isnt an administrator/granted access to the Device Manager.

He said lockdown, your solution is a cheap hack and it won't work effectively.

• Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,080 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

You can create a new hardware profile and set that to load with those items disables. I assume you can password protect that and choose to boot back into your regular profile when needed.

Why won't it work?

Hardware Profile. Never had to use one of those before. I like it. Good stuff MarkR :)
    ...and you are..?

• Advertisement

Maybe my understanding and your understanding of the word lockdown are different.Aswell as that locking down a workstation whos job is to do work is a waste of resources and money .
    The correct and proper way to do it is to use simple dumb terminals which are just a monitor and a keyboard if needed.
    ...and you are..?
    What do you mean exactly?

true.

In any case OP that should be a start. alternatively I do recall another simple solution is to put your desktops in locked enclosures, like you might see at the Library:
    http://www.law.uconn.edu/infosys/classrooms/ch110/ch110_pc_cabinet.jpg

There is of course corporate software out there deisnged to limit what an employee machine can do but i cant think of any off hand. Of course this might be overkill for a small business solution anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

don't overlook disabling internet access and email on those workstations,
    all the hardware profiles in the world would be useless if someone could simply email it to another pc with a printer :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,259 ✭✭✭Shiny

Overheal wrote: »

...and you are..?

He is someone that goes into threads telling people that they
    don't know what they are talking about. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 720 ✭✭✭muggyog

Possibly Kiosk software especially if the database is web friendly?

• Advertisement

Ignore all other advice in this thread and look into/get a good book on group policy objects.

It will do everything you need and much much more. We use them for embedded touch screen machines in work.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,064 ✭✭✭Snowbat

You don't say which OS you need to lock down, if Active Directory is being used, or if the printers are USB, serial, parallel, or network.

For XP Pro, look at Group Policy Objets (start, run, gpedit.msc)
    http://www.petri.co.il/disable_usb_disks_with_gpo.htm

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,205 ✭✭✭barneysplash

Snowbat wrote: »
    You don't say which OS you need to lock down, if Active Directory is being used, or if the printers are USB, serial, parallel, or network.

The Operating System is Windows XP or some Windows 2000 machines.

All ports - serial, paralell, usb must be disabled on the units.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,257 ✭✭✭✭Standard Toaster

ronoc wrote: »
    Ignore all other advice in this thread and look into/get a good book on group policy objects.

It will do everything you need and much much more.

+1

Ignore other advice? I am hurt :( but at the same time kudos for the better response.

• Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,080 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

He wins. That is a better option, I had thought that a domain controller was needed. No need to ignore our suggestions though. Me and overheal are going to have to form a support group! Both are viable options, yours is tidier.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 swanky

Snowbat wrote: »

Agree with this post. Best option

Advertisement