Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Empire of the Sun

Options
  • 30-06-2008 9:09am
    Registered Users Posts: 7,496 ✭✭✭

Picked this up in Zavvi cheap yesterday and watched it. The last time I'd seen it was about 15 years ago (made in 1987) and it really left an impact. I had kept meaning to watch it again.

Anyway I think I enjoyed it even more than I remember first time round. Christian Bale's performance is outstanding. The set and work gone into creating a believeable 1940's China is top-notch, Spielberg at his best.

At 2 and a half hours it never feels too long.

I reckon I might dig up the book somwhere for more insight.

Thoughts/comments on this film?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,136 ✭✭✭Pugsley

Looked into this on Karls recommendation, superb film. Been a while since I seen it so I may have to look into it again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

Yep, absolutely fantastic, possibly one of my favourite Spielberg films. It's just incredible.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,236 ✭✭✭Sanjuro

Incredibly underrated Spielberg film. Definately up with Schindler's List, Raiders of the Lost Ark and Close Encounters of the Third Kind as my favorite of his films.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

This movie is a modern classic, yet at the same time, a movie that is regularly forgotten that it even exists. When people chalk up Spielbergs triumphs as a director, this movie doesn't figure in the lists, despite being head and shoulders above a lot of what would be considered his best. I can never quite figure it out. It is subtle, engrossing & so very tragic at watching Christian Bale lose his innocence in war-torn China.

Advertisement