Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Where to buy the more unusual ingredients - In this case Indian

Options
  • 29-06-2008 10:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,238 ✭✭✭

I bought a cook book over the weekend with the intentention of broadening my repertoire beyond bangers and mash. Most of the ground spices I can get in Tescos or the like but for example cumin seeds I can't find, I got fenugreek seeds in M&S but even their selection is very limited.

Are there shops in Dublin that excel in speciality foods in general or are there specific places for specific ethinicities and has anybody here any tips or suggestions?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭The Sweeper

TBH I'm surprised you can't get cumin seeds in Tesco. They usually stock them.

There are a few curry basics that most stores will stock - ground cumin, cumin seeds, ground coriander, coriander seeds, ground turmeric, fenugreek seeds, fennel seeds, even cardamom pods. Cloves, nutmeg and cinnamon sticks are other common ingredients that they should also stock.

It usually only gets difficult when you get as far as things like nigella seeds, star anise, cassia bark (just use cinnamon sticks) or brown cardamom (difficult to find, the most weird and wonderful flavour ever).

There are other threads on here that will point you directly to specific shops (George's Street?) but I'd say once you get into a speciality shop, stock up on seeds but not powders. Whole spices last a LOT longer than ground, they keep their flavour if stored in airtight containers in a cool place, and you can get away with reviving them by dry frying them in a pan for 30 seconds before you grind them into the powders you need.

You can bulk buy a lot more cheaply in a speciality store (500g or 1kg bags of spices for the same price as a 30g jar of Sharwoods) but honestly, unless you're using these spices every single day in your cooking, I'd say don't bother buying the big bags.

The only ground spice I'd buy in bulk is chili powder. The rest I keep on hand in small air-tight jars, and I have my whole spices in big air-tight jars.

If you don't want to invest in spice jars just yet, buy one large tupperware box - the kind that has a rubber seal - and a bunch of rubber bands. When you've opened a plastic spice pack, twist it closed, tie it with the rubber bank and store it in the air-tight tupperware box.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,238 ✭✭✭humbert

Thanks MAJD.

Actually got star anise and cardamom pods alright, maybe I just missed cumin seeds but I looked pretty thoroughly.

I didn't know that about seeds keeping longer, which is useful.

I'm still reading through the recipes and just gave cumin seeds as an example. Really I'm looking for the sort of shop I can go to if the mainstream supermarket fails that will definitely stock what I'm looking for.

I'll have a trawl through previous threads.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,757 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

OP - There are two Indian/Bangladeshi stores next to each other on the small road between Harcourt Road & South Richmond Street. These guys carry a very good range of spices, sauces, rice, breads - you name it.

If you need directions - let me know.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,906 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

Most Healthfood/wholefood stores in addition to brown rice and lentils also carry a range of spices, I have found them useful for getting spices, including brown cardamom pods (think BBQ flavour) I use a lot of spices and usually find what I am looking for either in the local heathfood shop or the supermarket.
    Asian markets are very good for this kind of thing too.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,139 ✭✭✭olaola

If you're near D8 - the So Kee Co. in Inchicore sells all this stuff. There are a couple of places on Thomas Street too (one beside Vicar St, can't remember the name)

• Advertisement

Hill Billy wrote: »
    OP - There are two Indian/Bangladeshi stores next to each other on the small road between Harcourt Road & South Richmond Street. These guys carry a very good range of spices, sauces, rice, breads - you name it.

If you need directions - let me know.

Thanks, I think I know where you're talking about. It's not too far from where I work so I'll give it a try.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,824 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

to reiterate what Minesajack said;

Where a recipe calls for say cumin or coriander powder, toast and grind whole seeds to make fresh powder and only enough for your recipe. It only takes a minute or two.

Do not buy in bulk - you will only end up using stale flavourless spices.

Do keep spices airtight.

I'd be suspect of the freshness of spices in a healthfood shop. Your ethnic shops will have a much faster turnover of spices.

The freshness of spices really make a huge difference to the taste but more so to the aroma of Indian food. And you don't get that kind of chalky taste from poor quality ground spices.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

I tend to try Tescos first because it's a large Tesco in greystones, and the larger ones have thier "Ingredients" section where you can get whole spices (this is seperate to the actual spices section usually). After that, nature stores and the smaller indian/etc shops around dublin are pretty good.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 190 ✭✭SMK

There is an Asian shop on Mary Street (near the corner with Wolfe Tone Street). I buy a lot of ingredients there, they have a wide selection.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,366 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

Does the shop on Marys St. stock the bigger batches? I might take a trip in, there's nowhere out here in the boglands.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,379 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

There is a great new(ish) shop in blackrock market (dublin). I am not sure if it is only open when the market is, since it is not a stall. They guy in there seems like he owns it and looks indian, it is a "multi-ethnic" store, i.e. not just chinese or india, most are mixed like this to some degree. It was good value and had a great variety of stuff.

stock the bigger batches
    Most do, they have the huge massive bags used in takeaways, think the common brand is "east end" I see the bombay pantry use them, so thats good enough for me! You can get great savings, but as mentioned spices can go blander/stale over time (I just use more!).

• Registered Users Posts: 16,824 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

rubadub wrote: »

Most do, they have the huge massive bags used in takeaways, think the common brand is "east end" I see the bombay pantry use them, so thats good enough for me! You can get great savings, but as mentioned spices can go blander/stale over time (I just use more!).

Using more will bulk up the flavour but you will not get the aroma from old spices. For the amount most people use, there is no real saving in buying in bulk.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 121 ✭✭Dewdropdeb

If you wanted to stay at the computer, Seasoned Pioneers is brilliant! Seasonedpioneers.co.uk - they have everything you can imagine. Shipping is fast and reasonable and the quality of the spices is exceptional. If you spend a few more pence a bag you can even get organic varieties of most.

I want to say I only paid two pound shipping last time. They come in these cute little bags too. Although I have to say I think I'd prefer jars as the bags always seem to get "lost" in my storecupboard :)

Good luck! Fresh ground spices are the best.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,321 ✭✭✭sham69

There's a new Madina store open on Parnell street just up from the Ilac centre entrance (I think where movie magic used to be). They should have everything you want.
    Have to go there myself today as I have some new Indian recipes to try over the weekend,

Went to the one between Harcourt Road & South Richmond Street and was amazed by the selection.

Didn't go in expressly to visit that shop so didn't have a specific list but was able to pick a few more ingredients.

Big thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 22,757 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

Glad you got sorted. If you like things spicy - next time you're in there - the shop on the right stocks Achar Mango Pickle. It's a great way to really liven up a curry.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,139 ✭✭✭olaola

Passed by this place today - they have a website: http://www.bombaybazaar.ie/

It's quite good actually! You can buy online - shipping seems fairly decent too.

• Registered Users Posts: 15 Jota

there´s a shop in rathmines ingeniously named spiceland and oddly enough it has a good range of spices and other indian ingredients.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,366 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

Jota wrote: »
    there´s a shop in rathmines ingeniously named spiceland and oddly enough it has a good range of spices and other indian ingredients.

I would have called it spiceworld; bigger in scale.

Advertisement