Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I find speed tables impossible.

Options
  • 29-06-2008 2:09am
    Registered Users Posts: 595 ✭✭✭

Anyone a huge advocate of these? They are great for getting more hands in but I personally don't think they're worth it.

I'm just after losing 3 buy-ins while 4 tabling speed tables. I was well overrolled for the limit I was playing, but I still find it impossible. I was only 4-tabling, but I find these speed tables just don't give me the time to make the 100% correct decisions. Lost a big pot at one stage when a guy taunted me in chat, and made an undisciplined call when under pressure from the clock. I am 100% sure that if I was playing regular speed I would have mucked the hand.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 588 ✭✭✭Lao Lao

I really don't like speed or turbo tourney's at all and have never been able to fully adjust to them. I also have to disagree with you about getting more hands in. In a speed or turbo tourney, the blinds are going up quicker than a regular tourney and therefore imo, you get to see less hands as you need to reduce your starting hand criteria or else you will be blinded out quicker. I much prefare to stick to a regular tourney

• Registered Users Posts: 8,881 ✭✭✭bohsman

Pretty sure Ted is talking about speed cash games on iPoker, either way I prefer speed cash games and turbo tournaments, can easily get 1k hands in an hour in the cash games and deepstack tournies are just boring.

• Registered Users Posts: 595 ✭✭✭Tight Ted

Lao Lao wrote: »
    I really don't like speed or turbo tourney's at all and have never been able to fully adjust to them. I also have to disagree with you about getting more hands in. In a speed or turbo tourney, the blinds are going up quicker than a regular tourney and therefore imo, you get to see less hands as you need to reduce your starting hand criteria or else you will be blinded out quicker. I much prefare to stick to a regular tourney

Sorry, I'm talking about Speed Cash tables. They mean there's less stalling and more hands per hour. But it gives you less time to make decisions, which is a pain at big pots.

bohsman wrote: »
    Pretty sure Ted is talking about speed cash games on iPoker, either way I prefer speed cash games and turbo tournaments, can easily get 1k hands in an hour in the cash games and deepstack tournies are just boring.

Out of interest, how many tables are you playing to get 1000 hands an hour?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,191 ✭✭✭Macspower

I'm playing 9 tables as we speak and 4 of them are turbos... they dont cause me a problem.. In fact I see now there are more fish on these tables... one has 2 50% + players...

Fish like turbos... I like fish

• Advertisement

Macspower wrote: »
    I'm playing 9 tables as we speak and 4 of them are turbos... they dont cause me a problem.. In fact I see now there are more fish on these tables... one has 2 50% + players...

Fish like turbos... I like fish

Are turbo tables the Ipoker equivilant of Pokerstar's speed tables? I always seem to find the standard weaker at regular speed.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,191 ✭✭✭Macspower

turbo tables are the ones with less time to make your decisions

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,277 ✭✭✭✭Rb

I find the speed tables on Stars fine, was 12 tabling recently and many were speed tables and it didn't present a problem.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,771 ✭✭✭TommyGunne

I much prefer speed tables. I don't like playing > 8 tables, but I have no problem with the short time given for decisions. Fish seem to prefer turbo tables too, probably cos they only ever one table so they get bored easily. I always try to play as many turbo tables as possible. In fact a lot of the time when I'm starting a session midweek, the first tables I join are any empty turbo tables. Attracts fish fast imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,881 ✭✭✭bohsman

Tight Ted wrote: »
    Out of interest, how many tables are you playing to get 1000 hands an hour?

12, a mix between regular and turbo, I can play 1k hands per hour on prima 9 tabling.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,472 ✭✭✭AdMMM

I used to loathe them and found myself timing out on a constant basis but have become more comfortable with them over time. On the occassions where I lose track of the action and am under pressure from the clock, I generally just fold.

Also, as it's been mentioned, the Turbo tables attract weaker players and multitabling regs tend to stay away meaning they're one of the last untapped resources in NL.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,894 ✭✭✭✭phantom_lord

ipoker's turbo tables are slower than most sites normal tables btw.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,646 ✭✭✭cooker3

I don't agree, I still find the turbo tables annoying and I have been playing on much faster networks the last few months and handled them fine.

On the occassions where I lose track of the action and am under pressure from the clock, I generally just fold.

Fantastic advice mate. This is what happened to me. Came under pressure from the clock, had completely lost track of action, guy started taunting me in chat. Tilt called 3 buy-ins deep.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,277 ✭✭✭✭Rb

What's the timebank like on normal and turbo tables on Ipoker these days?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 203 ✭✭Vamos

The problem with ipoker tables is that they take too long for the useless stuff like the dealing animation, showdowns and all-ins, 8 tabling ipoker is like 5-6 tabling most other sites in terms of hands/hr. If they cut down that rubbish and give slightly more time to decisions they'd still bring up their rake generated/hr.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,894 ✭✭✭✭phantom_lord

everyone having less time to think is better for me imo.

generally i have a pre-conceived plan for a hand, with narrowed ranges street by street, so it'd be rare I'd find myself with a tough river decision having to think through the whole hand from scratch. i prob think faster than my opponents too, so less time for decisions is an advantage for me, esp if it induces errors like in the op.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,327 ✭✭✭hotspur

I found playing 4 turbo cash tables on Ipoker really bad as there were times when you had to think through the hand and just had no time to do it, which is bad for any poker poker player who is playing non-robotically and wants to rely on superior analysis.

Advertisement