Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

share my printer wirelessly?

Options
  • 28-06-2008 9:58pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭

Hello wise individuals may I seek some info from your intelligent heads!

I have a Desktop running Win XP and a Laptop running Vista Sp1, I have the laptop connected to the desktop via a cable router and it is basically a wireless crossover cable job. A crossover cable runs from desktop to router and onwards wirelessly.

Belkin's tech support set it up for me and I use this setup primarily for sharing files (dumping them from laptop to Desktop). The Desktop is nearly always on and is connected to a HP printer.

This is where you guys come in! would it be possible to be able to print a document from my laptop and send it wirelessly via the router to the desktop and onwards to the printer?

I know there is gadgets available but I have heard mixed reviews on them and if anyone knows how to do this, It'd be great.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 swanky

Easy.

1. on the Desktop with the printer connected via wires, simply right click on the printer, and click on sharing.
    2. Share this printer with everyone should be an option.
    3. Once done, note down your IP addres of the desktop (easily retrieved by going to Start -> Run, type cmd, then in command type ipconfig)
    4. Go to the laptop which is wireless, and add a printer. Select Network printer and click next.
    5. To locate, clock the "type printer name" radio button, and in the box type \\your.ip.address\printer_name
    Click next.
    Voila! Your printer is now added on the Laptop to print to.

Very swanky!
    :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭mumhaabu

Thanks a million Swanky, you may be new here (welcome to boards btw!) but you most certainly know your computers! :)

I did exactly as you said and made my printer shareable on the XP Desktop but was having no luck on the Vista Laptop after entering my IP Address and printers shared name so instead I clicked "Browse" next to where you enter the IP address and I found my laptop and desktop alongside each other.

Then after clicking on Desktop the printer was there and I selected it, hit next and the laptop communicated with it and was looking for a driver, so I hit install (expecting the Printer CD would be needed) and I headed up to my attic rummaging around for the printer CD and when I came down with the CD it had installed the drivers automatically (drawing them from either the Printer or Desktop I suppose).

So thanks very much, I really appreciate it, I was surprised that it was so simple and easy.

Thanks again man :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 swanky

mumhaabu wrote: »
    I did exactly as you said and made my printer shareable on the XP Desktop but was having no luck on the Vista Laptop after entering my IP Address and printers shared name so instead I clicked "Browse" next to where you enter the IP address and I found my laptop and desktop alongside each other.

Sorrymumhaabu, I should have also mentioned that. If you have any more questions, you can either PM me or post and I may be hunting around and answer your questions.
    Glad I could be of help.

Swanky
    ;)

Advertisement