Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

cash help

Options
  • 28-06-2008 6:05pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 18

hi all,

long time reader first time poster,
    (just to clarify i have nothing to do with dcb guy as it seems i have to say that or else i may be banned and check ip address etc mods)

anyway,
    i started playing casual poker with friends about two years ago. i grabbed the cocept straight away and now play regulary on the dublin scene although i have no friends and am normally the shy one in the corner.

poker is everything to me as i have grown to it seriously. i toyed with the idea of going to vegas only i wanted to leave it another year so as to get to know some guys and maybe go as a group.

on my game; i am very successfull at mtt but my cash game is in bits. i guess thats why i am coming here for help. bassically i could easily pay 1500euro for a tourney and if i get nocked out i might not be happy but i wont get all tilty. however if i was sitting in a cash game with the same 1500euro...i freeze...i dont know why this is and was wondering if youy could help me out. i will post more details of my game if you wish and thanks for your help in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭TiGeR KiNgS

its to do with bankroll. To play with those stakes you would need at least 10000 euro bankroll to feel comfortable making the right play, ie not afraid to shove with jacks v aK (vice versa). So i would say play with 500 cash if 1500 is your bankroll and you will find you can make the right play with out fear of going bust

Edit hers a link for bankroll management
    http://boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055094108

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18 dublinplayer

sorry if i did no make it clear. my bankroll is more than capable of sitting down with 1500. (btw i think it would have to be more than 10k!!) anyways even if it was a 2/4 gaqme i still freeze. i just dont know why:confused:

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

Christ, I wouldnt sit down with more then 10% of my bankroll at any one time. 5% max preferably!

OP, everyone goes through this, its a transition to cash which many find hard and many actually never successfully make. I've a terrific history in MTT's but I would say I'm slightly better then break even at cash unless the field is really bad :)

Its a hard change to make and one you needn't make unless you want to turn pro (not advisable imho). Why not stay at MTTs?

Anyway, if you do try to make the switch, you need to study the theoretical differences between cash and tournie play in detail!

The problem with freezing could be as a result of uncertainty about your cash game. You simply might not feel you are up to that level. Why not start at .50/1 and multi-table to find your feet and build experience.

DeV.

Devore i have tried this but tbh i just get bored when playing them levals unless there happened to be big stacks. bassically either i have the absoulute nuts or else i freeze. another thing i do is since u can reload i tend to throw money away chasing things i shouldnt be an also just seeing flop for the sake of it. not sure if anyone can help me as i just have to be more disaplined(spellcheck)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,277 ✭✭✭✭Rb

How do you mean by "freeze"? Is it a case of you're worried about how much you're putting into pots or what? Is it that you're playing with real money and not tournament chips perhaps?

So you get bored playing for $100, but you freeze up playing for €1500? Maybe try and find a level that you're comfortable playing? 1/2 and buying in for €200 or something?

If it's a case that you're unsure about your game in cash, have a read of harrington on cash games, should get you in good shape for live cash. If you want to play online then there's 2+2, theory posts here and the like that can help.

Could you describe what happens when you play cash in a bit more detail?

• Advertisement

Rb wrote: »
    How do you mean by "freeze"? Is it a case of you're worried about how much you're putting into pots or what? Is it that you're playing with real money and not tournament chips perhaps?

So you get bored playing for $100, but you freeze up playing for €1500? Maybe try and find a level that you're comfortable playing? 1/2 and buying in for €200 or something?

If it's a case that you're unsure about your game in cash, have a read of harrington on cash games, should get you in good shape for live cash. If you want to play online then there's 2+2, theory posts here and the like that can help.

Could you describe what happens when you play cash in a bit more detail?

im defo getting the harrington books yes. i think you are right in saying about the fact that its cash chips. its weird really. like i say i dont mind paying 1500 for a tourney but cash game i guess its just weird.

anyway my cash game in more depth:

i like to see every flop so i find i maybe throw away to much money since you can just reload. but when i 'freeze' i bassically mean that i go on super tilt and just start throwing money away BECAUSE of the fact that you can just topup. however this is not a problem in tourneys as i can control it well. plus there is more fools in dublin cash games which gets pretty annoying. im sure you will know yourself that its better to play against a good player than a bad player in cash. well it is imo

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,277 ✭✭✭✭Rb

im defo getting the harrington books yes. i think you are right in saying about the fact that its cash chips. its weird really. like i say i dont mind paying 1500 for a tourney but cash game i guess its just weird.

anyway my cash game in more depth:

i like to see every flop so i find i maybe throw away to much money since you can just reload. but when i 'freeze' i bassically mean that i go on super tilt and just start throwing money away BECAUSE of the fact that you can just topup. however this is not a problem in tourneys as i can control it well. plus there is more fools in dublin cash games which gets pretty annoying.
    Sounds like a discipline issue alright, if you're trying to see every flop and are tilting hard then you're going to end up spewing money off left right and centre. Best off just reading Harrington on Cash Games and adhering to the starting hands requirements he advises and trying to keep in control of yourself.

Do you have an Ipod? I rarely play live but I know what you mean about annoyances at the table, if you stuck on a pair of headphones you'd get rid of that fairly nicely.

For tilt/personal discipline issues, I'm not too sure but I've heard there's one or two good books on it.
    im sure you will know yourself that its better to play against a good player than a bad player in cash. well it is imo

But the bad players are where the good players get their money, why'd you want to play against good players and reduce your edge/winrate/financial gain when you could be playing against bad players and making a decent amount of cash?
    If you're out for a social game where the money doesn't matter, sure play good players who are friendly and you'll enjoy yourself, but if you're out to make money then play with the bad players and stick the headphones on and get on with things.

thanks for your help rb. yes i have started using earphones and i does make it more bearable less boring. as i know cash game is a grind and u have to be very patient unlike tourney where you can follow along with others going out average stack etc etc. i think i prefer good players because bad players always go in behind against me and suck out. also you can bluff a good player to.

again thanks for your help

• Registered Users Posts: 4,416 ✭✭✭Lazare

i think i prefer good players because bad players always go in behind against me and suck out.

I don't mean to offend, but the above statement is really bad. You should probably study EV, variance and the fundamental theorem of poker before you plug any other leaks.

As I said, no offence and welcome to the forum.

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭RichardB2

Sounds like you lose dicipline when your game isn't on the line.
    Tournament bust = dead,
    Ring table bust = dig out your wallet.
    Maybe restrict the amount of cash immediately available for reloads
    by bringing only 2 buy-ins & leaving the cash/credit cards at home.

• Advertisement

RichardB2 wrote: »
    Sounds like you lose dicipline when your game isn't on the line.
    Tournament bust = dead,
    Ring table bust = dig out your wallet.
    Maybe restrict the amount of cash immediately available for reloads
    by bringing only 2 buy-ins & leaving the cash/credit cards at home.

very simple solution and one i never acctually thought of doing:pac:

thanks richard

• Registered Users Posts: 6,646 ✭✭✭cooker3

With respect it sounds like you don't like really grasp poker theory all that well.
    Go into the best of sticky just at the top and read all top threads posted. There is a nice mix of theory, bankroll management, discipline etc threads to learn from. If you take even a little of what is said on board you will be much better player

cooker3 wrote: »
    With respect it sounds like you don't like really grasp poker theory all that well.
    Go into the best of sticky just at the top and read all top threads posted. There is a nice mix of theory, bankroll management, discipline etc threads to learn from. If you take even a little of what is said on board you will be much better player

no problem i have been for this last hour or so. some good posts. i mean tourney is no problem as i am quite successful at that side of it. any links to just talk about cash would be appreciated though thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 39,192 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

its to do with bankroll. To play with those stakes you would need at least 10000 euro bankroll to feel comfortable making the right play, ie not afraid to shove with jacks v aK (vice versa). So i would say play with 500 cash if 1500 is your bankroll and you will find you can make the right play with out fear of going bust

Edit hers a link for bankroll management
    http://boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055094108
    "Isn't it ironic"

You suggest sitting down with 1/3 of his BR,
    then link to a management thread

• Registered Users Posts: 8,806 ✭✭✭Lafortezza

dublinplayer banned for being a duplicate DBC account.
    The rest of you are all slipping imo.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,298 ✭✭✭a-k-47

i was afraid to say anything earlier (sober) was about to dig in until i read lafs reply...ffs seriously...rb your never getting those minutes of your life back :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,416 ✭✭✭Lazare

lol, at least me and Cooker got to tell him he sucks at teh pokers.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,091 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

just to clarify i have nothing to do with dcb guy
    Well, he pulled the wool over your eyes!
    That's the first thing he says and nobody says anything? heh

Advertisement