Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dell Studio 15/17

Options
  • 28-06-2008 5:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 269 ✭✭

Anyone see the new Dell Studio range of laptops they look quiet good i especially like the fact that they come with dedicated Graphics unlike the Inspiron 1525 but is th Studio range heavier then the Inspiron and not as thin

How suitable would that range of laptops be for a College Computing Student

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 525 ✭✭✭Tinytony

Hi,

The dimensions for the Inspiron 1525 are:

Weight: Starting at 5.90 lbs (2.70 kg)3
    Width: 14.05" (35.7cm)
    Height: 1.00" (2.5cm) front - 1.48" (3.7cm) back
    Depth: 10.08" (25.6cm)

For the studio it does seem to be slightly heavier, but also slightly more compact.

Dimensions & Weight
    Width: 14.0" (355.6mm)
    Height: 1.0" (25.3mm) front / 1.3" (33mm) back
    Depth: 10.3" (261.5mm)
    Weight: Starting weight of 6.11 lbs. (2.77 kg)

I have a Studio ordered, and I like the fact it has a dedicated graphics card, even if it is a fairly low spec one.

Will you be running any resource heavy college programs or anything on it? What kinda of money were you looking at spending? You can build the Studio to a reasonably high spec for less than €800.

• Registered Users Posts: 269 ✭✭cyberwit

I will be doing the usual college work as well as the likes of Programming Java , Javascript and i like the fact that the Studio has no integrated graphics too.

I will wait until eople have put video on youtube unboxing it and reviewing it . Would you let us know now you get on with the laptop the maximum i willl be spending is maybe €700

Hope to have it some stage this week, so once I've had a play around with it I'll let you know how I get on.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,715 ✭✭✭ablelocks

is the led display worth the extra 100?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,706 ✭✭✭Voodu Child

ablelocks wrote: »
    is the led display worth the extra 100?

When you upgrade from the basic screen to the WLED, you also go from 1280x800 to 1440x900. For the money, I think its a pretty good upgrade, though of course it depends on your own individual budget.

The LED screens should be brighter and have more even illumination, and also should help improve the battery life somewhat.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,715 ✭✭✭ablelocks

When you upgrade from the basic screen to the WLED, you also go from 1280x800 to 1440x900. For the money, I think its a pretty good upgrade, though of course it depends on your own individual budget.

The LED screens should be brighter and have more even illumination, and also should help improve the battery life somewhat.

sounds good, thanks voodoo

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,061 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

The LED screen will also make the laptop slightly thinner and lighter.

Got an email yesterday to say the expected delivery date for my Studio 15 had been pushed back 2 weeks. :mad:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 468 ✭✭trap4

I ordered one on Sunday for my sister. I'll post a quick review when it arrives. I wasn't even aware of the Studio range until I went on the site and was pleasantly surprised by price/specs - let's see if it lives up to expectation.

Advertisement