Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

American HP Laptop Nightmare!

Options
  • 28-06-2008 3:20pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭

Hello,

I have a HP Pavillion DV6835nr Laptop which I bought in a BestBuy recently in the United States costing me $880. It was a great laptop and I was delighted with it, as it had everything I wanted Vista Home Premium SP1, 3GB Ram, Wi-FI, built-in webcam, dialup modem, Ethernet, lightscribe DVD burner and a 250GB hardrive, and in comparison to the prices I was finding here in Ireland it was a bargain.

However the trouble began almost from the start and about 5 days after buying it the number “8” stopped working so I took it back to bestbuy who swapped it out with absolutely no hassle.

However I am now 5,000 miles from that BestBuy and at the end of May the keyboard in my replacement laptop I got from BestBuy went faulty, with several letters and numbers not working and sometimes returning as it is intermittent, and when you’d press T, qwerie would appear and pressing E could activate Mute which a touch button separate from the Keyboard.

Anyway on June 5th I contacted HP in Dublin and they agreed to collect and return it, so DHL picked it up and couriered it to the UK where it was repaired and I had back in exactly 7 days. I powered it on all was fine, I had put in a note asking them if the keyboard needed replacing to fit a UK keyboard with the “€” and @ in the right places unlike the US Style keyboard it came with. In fairness to them they fitted a British English layout Keyboard.

After 30mins of use the exact same problems emerged, with the exact same keys faulty as before. I rang HP and it was couriered off again the next day.

Cue 7 days later I had seen no laptop, so I rang HP service centre, “Oh there is nothing wrong with your laptop sir” some expletives were used and they agreed to conduct further tests. They then had to order a US Style Keyboard from California to be shipped to the UK and they fitted it and returned the laptop to me yesterday.

All was well yesterday until this morning, bloody hell the exact same keys giving trouble again even with the US Style Keyboard fitted this time. I am now really p1ssed off with HP as their service agents “Flextronics” mustn’t have a clue and I was sold a right Lemon if ever. They told me it must be repaired the 3rd time before they will issue a replacement or refund, (I’ll be taking the refund). I have discovered that Keyboard problems like this are a huge problem with HP Laptops everywhere and as I said it effected my first one which BestBuy replaced.

I must give credit to HP all this has been done at absolutely no cost to myself as the laptop has a one year warranty. However, it is extremely inconvenient to myself as I use the laptop on the road with O2 Mobile Broadband and was becoming very used to it and relying on it rather than trying to access emails through the mobile (nightmare).

I am convinced that the Keyboard is not a fault and that there is some other component underneath faulty or else as I said it just affects them all. I bought the laptop on the good name of HP as I have had HP printers and scanners down through the years and HP never gave me an ounce of trouble until this Laptop came along. I decided to dodge Dell as my Desktop gave me some trouble and required a new cd burner and hard drive. But since then it never gave me any trouble. I'll probably buy a Dell Laptop if I can get my money back off HP.

Be careful of HP laptops!

If anyone has had a similar experience with HP and US laptops then please post up.

Advertisement