Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Which anti-virus?

Options
  • 28-06-2008 11:32am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,670 ✭✭✭

This post has been deleted.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,288 ✭✭✭✭ntlbell

kaspersky/AVG personal

• Registered Users Posts: 1,495 ✭✭✭Zorba

Just one thing if u do use Avg 8 turn off the link scanner, it makes surfing the web very slow because it scans every single page to try to load, unless your totally paranoid if so then leave it on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

or Avira, free version has no spyware scanner tho so add superantispyware

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,090 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

bitdefender/kapersky/nod32/avg are good.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,918 ✭✭✭Steffano2002

I use the new AVG Free (8.0 I think). Delighted with it so I am! ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,925 ✭✭✭trout

I've really gone off AVG in the last few months ... what with the spammy splash screens from 7.5, and the pre-scanning of links introduced in version 8.0. I've read that the link scanning is skewing traffic statistics for some websites, and that some webmasters are up in arms, particularly those who are hit with increased bandwidth charges. I think it was on The Register ...

/edit - http://www.theregister.co.uk/2008/06/13/avg_scanner_skews_web_traffic_numbers/

NOD32 gets my vote :)

• Registered Users Posts: 17,727 ✭✭✭✭Sherifu

I'd have said AVG but dunno about the new version.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,060 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

That link scanner is a load of balls. Thankfully you can get around installing it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

You can get 50% Kaspersky anti-virus products up until June 30th, use the code WHSMITH at checkout.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,670 ✭✭✭NiSmO

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭bliger

best is Zone Alarm security suite it has antivirus engine from Kaspersky

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,090 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

NiSmO wrote: »

They are viruses themselves. :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,025 ✭✭✭zod

avast ftw

• Registered Users Posts: 10,510 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

I'm surprised only 1 recommendation for Avast!

I've used it for ages, it's a very good piece of software... (and it doesn't kill your computer like McAfee or Norton...)

(link)

• Registered Users Posts: 82,143 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

NiSmO wrote: »
    I wouldnt touch McAffee. Norton I have found to be a very discrete program that doesnt require much babysitting if any. Performance wise it doesnt seem like a big hit.

AVG on the other hand :p I reformatted an old 256MB Ram machine with XP today - it was running grand and smooth; until I installed AVG. It must have ate everything up.

Eset Nod32. In my opinion there is really no other that come close for large corporate installations. We were on Mcaffee/ePolicy orchestrator for years with painful results and numerous problems with it.

We trialled a few others but Nod32 won hands down. The version targeted at home users is also pretty good.

Run away from Norton and McAfee.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 swanky

i agree with ronoc, run away from the memory and CPU hogs otherwise known as McCafee and Symantec.

I always without a doubt use ClamAV. It's opensource and free, so you know it has the community always updating it. Runs beautifully and takes up very little memory.
    It was a UNIX Antivirus, which has been ported over to win32.
    Check this site:

http://w32.clamav.net/

Very Swanky
    :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,504 ✭✭✭Daemonic

Another vote for Avast.
    Apart from having to get a new key once a year (message window, click link, receive email, paste key, done) and pretty regular popups (for once regular popups is a good thing) to let you know its just installed the latest update I never notice it, which is exactly what I want from an antivirus program.

• Registered Users Posts: 213 ✭✭pogcica

I am also using avast, have it on the laptop, AVG on the desktop, really liking avast now except it scared the bejaysus out of me the first time it updated, I wasn't ready for it talking to me :D

• Registered Users Posts: 7,970 ✭✭✭DenMan

I am running a Vista machine with 2GB of memory. I was told Avast is the best, so I installed it and found out it is like an anchor weighing down the resources of my computer. Then I went ahead and installed Avira, and again had the same problem, huge amount of resources being allocated for it and continuing to give me a lot of grief, causing runtime errors etc.

I now have the Windows Live OneCare installed and it is running perfectly. I will look into using ClamAV, sounds very promising. Anybody else have recent problems?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,510 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

pogcica wrote: »
    I am also using avast, have it on the laptop, AVG on the desktop, really liking avast now except it scared the bejaysus out of me the first time it updated, I wasn't ready for it talking to me :D

I used to work in an office last summer, all the computers had avast on them. Imagine my surprise when i was sitting in the office on my own when the computer from across the room yells at me that "Virus database has been updated" (the volume was on full by mistake)

• Registered Users Posts: 469 ✭✭knuth

Sophos? Quite light resources wise, think it loads 2-3 services at startup.

Advertisement