Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

can anybody recommend an artificial tears product for dry eyes please?

Options
  • 28-06-2008 11:27am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 440 ✭✭

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,644 Mod ✭✭✭✭Daisies

Drops (for during the day)
    Systane
    Blink
    Aquify

Ointment (for night, will blur your vision)
    Lacrilube
    Thera Tears

General advice
    Omega 3 is really really good for dry eye so try to get loads of it into your diet
    Make an effort to blink more often and completely
    Be wary of working for long periods on computers as you tend to blink less and as a result your eyes will dry out

• Closed Accounts Posts: 440 ✭✭maradona10

thanks Daisies, much appreciated

• Registered Users Posts: 4,944 ✭✭✭Jay P

You could try gel tears also. I think they're from Johnson and Johnson. I find them great.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24 teamsamson

maradona10 wrote: »

tears naturale is the best saline based drops for eyes and are used regularly for dry eye.

g'luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,861 ✭✭✭gipi

A late addition to this thread, but might be useful for someone!

If, like me, you can't take fish-based products (e.g. omega 3), a good alternative to help eye lubrication is Linseed Oil (also called Flaxseed oil) capsules.

Linseed oil capsules were recommended to me at my first consultation before laser eye surgery (I was borderline due to low tear production), took capsules for 6 weeks, had a second consultation, and tear production had improved enough to allow me to have the surgery!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 617 ✭✭✭Rael

Also try Artelac, recommended by the Blackrock Clinic & thats what I'm using at the moment

• Registered Users Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭Ann22

I've had dry eyes about 20yrs now. Have a long history of artificial tears and ointments at night. Among over the counter products Liquifilm is the best tear I've used and Brolene is the best for greasing the eye at night but the latter has gone off the market and Lacrilube is the second best.
    I read lately however that using an artificial tear or ointment that contains preservatives can be harmful to the eyes for extended periods so last week I started using a new product called Clarymist. It costs €20 for 100 metred sprays. You apply it to your closed eye, even over make up and its' liposomal action penetrates the eyelid and sort of greases your eye. So far I'm finding it really good, my vision is clearer and no haloing at night at all which I've had since laser surgery (I've had dry eyes before laser but the surgeons said they weren't dry enough not to recommend the procedure). I bought little vials of Systane today for first thing in the morning, 'cos it takes a few minutes for the spray to work fully and i find it uncomfortable to even open my eyes in the morning. I'd also advise you to use an eye mask at night to help slow down tear evaporation and watch the central heating, it's lethal! Always have either a wet item of clothing on a hot radiator or a humidifier.

Advertisement