Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Q. about daft.ie/length of time on the market

Options
  • 27-06-2008 1:55pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 16,165 ✭✭✭✭

Just having a quick look at daft today and saw a house that was apparently entered or renewed two hours ago. Its the exact same (house, profile, pic, etc) as it was two weeks ago, but I think this is done to give the impression it is new to the market? Is that correct? Would people do that a lot to make it seem like the house/property hadn't been empty as long as it really was, and what do people think of this practise, if it is widespread? Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,359 ✭✭✭jon1981

yeah i noticed too, i often wondered if there is away of finding out when the house was first put on market, rather than being updated.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,023 ✭✭✭Meathlass

It happens regularly with houses listed for renting. I've seen the same houses up there for months - usually ones that an estate agent is trying to shift.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,165 ✭✭✭✭brianthebard

Meathlass wrote: »
    It happens regularly with houses listed for renting. I've seen the same houses up there for months - usually ones that an estate agent is trying to shift.

Yeah that's what I thought, but then of course when you go to ask about a rent reduction they will no doubt claim it was only put on the market recently and there is plenty of interest. Thanks for the replies.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

Use Property Bee to track prices etc. - http://www.property-bee.com/

• Registered Users Posts: 3,023 ✭✭✭Meathlass

Yeah that's what I thought, but then of course when you go to ask about a rent reduction they will no doubt claim it was only put on the market recently and there is plenty of interest. Thanks for the replies.

I was recently looking for a double ensuite and there was nothing available though there were plenty of houses that were up for rent for several months so I rang the estate agents who'd listed them asking would their clients think about renting out room individually etc etc. All said no, some said they'd check and get back to me, none did. Anyway, I realised one of the houses belonged to a colleague. They said the estate agent never approached them but told them they'd had several prospective tenants who didn't have right qualifications. They're still waiting 3 months later to rent out the whole house. Daft is so easy for estate agents to use. They take a load of money off the owner and then don't go out of their way to get tenants.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 365 ✭✭sadie9

If you go to www.irishpropertywatch.com and type in the street address it will show you any times the house was on the market, you should be able to figure out from that how long it's on the market.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 14,465 Mod ✭✭✭✭johnnyskeleton

Another potential distortion I've noticed is that rather than drop the price on the same add (thus, registerring a drop on IPW), the vendor will close the old add and open a new one with the reduced price. So instead of seeing:

"X Nosuch Street 5 drops" on IPW, you will see 5 separate entries of "X Nosuch Street 0 drops".

• Registered Users Posts: 4,535 ✭✭✭worded

Meathlass wrote: »
    I was recently looking for a double ensuite and there was nothing available though there were plenty of houses that were up for rent for several months so I rang the estate agents who'd listed them asking would their clients think about renting out room individually etc etc. All said no, some said they'd check and get back to me, none did. Anyway, I realised one of the houses belonged to a colleague. They said the estate agent never approached them but told them they'd had several prospective tenants who didn't have right qualifications. They're still waiting 3 months later to rent out the whole house. Daft is so easy for estate agents to use. They take a load of money off the owner and then don't go out of their way to get tenants.

Dont know why more owners dont meet prospective tenants themselves.

Agents get more for a new tenant that a renewal I hear ! They have vested interests in you going at the end of the year.

Advertisement