Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best place to get tattooed in Dublin?

Options
  • 27-06-2008 10:58am
    Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭

I'm in the process of designing my first tattoo and I was just wondering did anyone have any advice as to the best place to get tattooed in Dublin?
    Also, I'm going on a sunshiney beach holiday for the last two weeks of August. Should I wait to get my tattoo till after then?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,183 ✭✭✭✭Will

What style of tattoo do you want? e.g tribal, biomech, realistic...

provide us with more information puhlease, different places are better than others for different styles

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭IndigoStarr

Its an art nouveau style mermaid, lots of flowing lines and that kind of thing. In colour, and I'd like a certain level of human realism.

Also, should I wait till before or after the holiday? I've no idea of healing times etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 601 ✭✭✭Rory123

Its an art nouveau style mermaid, lots of flowing lines and that kind of thing. In colour, and I'd like a certain level of human realism.

Also, should I wait till before or after the holiday? I've no idea of healing times etc.

I no nearly nothing about tattoos compared with others in here but I understand exposing a tattoo to lots of sunlight is no bueno!

• Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭KoRn101

Snakebite would be a good choice then, they did an AMAZING scarface tat on someone and it was like yours, in colour, it was amazing.. Definitely worth having a look for you! They'll suss it out for yah and tell you how it will look best and sort you out with the aftercare too!

The one in Stephens green is good too, i think its called wildcat! God a tribal from there and yeah, pretty sweet about it!

Do you think I should wait till before or after my sunshiney beach holiday?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

How long is it till your holiday?

I head to Spain on the 16th August :)

That's reasonable healing time for your tattoo I think, but I'd be sure to put plenty of sunblock on your tattoo when you are there. If it's any less than about 6 weeks between getting the tattoo done and your holiday, it might be better to leave it till after.

I think I might just wait till after, be on the safe side! Damo, what are your opinions on the best place in Dublin for art nouveau colour pieces?

Not sure to be honest, haven't seen any art nouveau pieces!

If you were able to post some pics of the overall effect/image type you're going for (Doesn't have to be exactly what you want done, just something to give an idea of what you are looking for) then we can compare it to the works we have seen and suggest from there. :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,808 ✭✭✭✭chin_grin

From the Googles....

Brand New Tattoo
    Don't put sunblock on a new or fresh tattoo - follow your artist's aftercare instructions and keep your tattoo covered or shaded with clothing for the first few weeks. You can use sunblock once your tattoo has finished peeling and has grown it's first protective layer of skin. But sunblock alone is not going to be sufficient for a new tattoo if it is exposed to direct sunlight for long periods of time. A tattoo is usually considered well-healed after about 3 months.

Yeah I'd wait until after. Mine took only four/five days to heal. Bephanthen for the win!

chin_grin wrote: »
    Yeah I'd wait until after. Mine took only four/five days to heal. Bephanthen for the win!

It still wouldn't be fully healed at that, it generally takes a few weeks, which is why I said about the 6 weeks...

Yeah I've heard that Bephathen is the best thing for tattoos. Whenever I see the ads on TV my mind automatically thinks of tattoos. Haha

I even got a new tube of Bepanthen there when my GF got some sunburn, and it seemed to help a lot too :D It's deadly stuff!

Not sure to be honest, haven't seen any art nouveau pieces!

If you were able to post some pics of the overall effect/image type you're going for (Doesn't have to be exactly what you want done, just something to give an idea of what you are looking for) then we can compare it to the works we have seen and suggest from there. :)

inkmermaid2.jpg
    Her hair and tail

mermaid1.jpg
    Her colour

mermaid2.jpg
    her expression

It all makes sense in my head! Sorry if I'm being a bit strange!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,808 ✭✭✭✭chin_grin

It still wouldn't be fully healed at that, it generally takes a few weeks, which is why I said about the 6 weeks...

BANG! There go my delusions of actually being Wolverine. Yeah took a good while for the hair to grow back. Wait, did I just type that out loud? Dang.

Edit: On topic, not sure where the best place to get ink would be. Couple of my cousins say they go to Celestial Ring all the time.

Do you think I should wait till before or after my sunshiney beach holiday?

Without question get it AFTER the holiday, the sun is actually pretty bad for the tat, especially in the first month or two!

The sun fades it a lot quicker too, not that you'll notice it at all if you did get it before but your best getting it after the holiday!

Her hair and tail

Her colour

her expression

It all makes sense in my head! Sorry if I'm being a bit strange!

Your not being strange either! :) Its great you have your OWN tattoo in mind, honestly your best bet would be snakebite then.. They will know EXACTLY what to do for yah! :)

Snakebite, Inkwell, Colourworks, Wildcat (Celestial Ring)
    The tattoo artists in those places should be able to sort you out no probs whatsoever. :)

Thanks for all your help guys! I absolutely adore tattoos and piercings, but am not that knowledgeable!

• Advertisement

That's what we're here for IndigoStarr :)

I'd suggest you look around the websites or actual shops for a few or all of those studios, and look at the artists portfolios, and evaluate which artist you think would be best for the piece that you want done. :) Best of luck and don't forget to show us the results, or I'll be forced to turn my back on you ;)

Of course I will! It won't be till September though :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29 Poker_Tony

this is abit off topic but does anyone know the best place in ireland to get a portrait tattoo done or are you better getting it done abroad,
    any info would be much appreciated, cheers !!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,183 ✭✭✭✭Will

JMD's in waterford for portrait work

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29 Poker_Tony

i just checked out JMDs website, tatt's look good, cheers Will,

• Registered Users Posts: 10,118 ✭✭✭✭Jimmy Bottlehead

Thinking of getting my first tat soon, similar to this design:

animal-demon.jpg

But its rather unique, made up of maybe 10 strokes or so.

I assume this would be classed as a tribal design... so where and who would people recommend?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 83 ✭✭Caroline B

Inkwell Tattoo, check out their website. http://www.inkwelltattoo.net/

Consultations second to none, work truly amazing.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,118 ✭✭✭✭Jimmy Bottlehead

Caroline B wrote: »
    Inkwell Tattoo, check out their website. http://www.inkwelltattoo.net/

Consultations second to none, work truly amazing.

Cool... anyone else have anything to add to this?

Advertisement